This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7392 / 50°44'21"N
Longitude: -4.0034 / 4°0'12"W
OS Eastings: 258731
OS Northings: 95200
OS Grid: SX587952
Mapcode National: GBR Q2.GPHB
Mapcode Global: FRA 27H4.45C
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105855
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93362
Location: Okehampton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Okehampton
Built-Up Area: Okehampton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Okehampton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX5995 1/3 5.2.52
1685, originally a private house. Dressed granite with steeply pitched hipped
slate roof and heavy moulded modillion eaves cornice which breaks over centre bay
into a small pediment. Round moulded string course at floor levels. Three storeys,
two bays. Sash windows with glazing bars in exposed moulded casing and with plain
granite cills and lintels. Centre second floor has cornice hood on consoles.
Centre first floor wooded centred bay window with sashes and ogee-shaped lead roof.
Ground floor centre doorway with widely-spaced granite pilasters, slightly tapered
with large bases and capitals, supporting the bay window above. Wide fielded panel
door in heavy doorcase. Large modern extension at rear.
Interior: circa late C17 open well staircase with thick moulded balusters, heavy
moulded string and hand rail and square newels with ball finials. Ground floor room
has late C17 moulded panelling with a cornice and chimney piece.
Built in 1685 by John Northmore and purchased in 1740 by John Luxmoore MP, owner of
Okehampton Castle, who used it as his town house. The Luxmoore family remained in
possession until the mid C19 when it was converted into the Town Hall, after the old
Town Hall, in Middle Row, had been demolished.
Listing NGR: SX5873195200
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings