This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5491 / 50°32'56"N
Longitude: -4.1445 / 4°8'40"W
OS Eastings: 248167
OS Northings: 74344
OS Grid: SX481743
Mapcode National: GBR NW.GP9S
Mapcode Global: FRA 276M.35Z
Entry Name: The Abbey Chapel Forecourt Wall and Piers
Listing Date: 7 September 1951
Last Amended: 20 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105869
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93387
Location: Tavistock, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Tavistock
Built-Up Area: Tavistock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
5185 ABBEY PLACE
The Abbey Chapel
Forecourt Wall and
listed as Unitarian
SX 4874 4/2 7.9.51
Late C15 or early C16. Originally the Abbots Hall but used as a non-conformist
Chapel from C17 onwards. Built of granite. West end gable fronted with Saddlestone.
Double pointed arched window with hood moulding and C16 granite entrance arch with
hood moulding and carved spandrels. On the south wall are buttresses, an external
chimney and an original window (now blocked). Attached granite forecourt wall which
has 2 sets of rusticated gatepiers with ball finials. The original Mediaeval roof
is said to be concealed under the coved plaster ceiling.
Listing NGR: SX4816374339
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings