History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cullompton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8573 / 50°51'26"N

Longitude: -3.393 / 3°23'34"W

OS Eastings: 302045

OS Northings: 107340

OS Grid: ST020073

Mapcode National: GBR LN.V676

Mapcode Global: FRA 36ST.V8G

Entry Name: The Manor House Hotel

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105901

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95282

Location: Cullompton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Cullompton

Built-Up Area: Cullompton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Cullompton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Cullompton

Listing Text

CULLOMPTON FORE STREET (west side),
ST 00 NW
Cullompton
10/92 No. 2 (The Manor House Hotel)
-
24.10.51
GV II*
Hotel, formerly a merchant's house. Built 1603 for Thomas Trock, clothier; extended
and embellished, 1718. Coursed rubble to ground floor, also right-hand end wall and
left-hand party wall; timber framed above, under 4 gabled-end slate roofs. The
building occupies the front of a medieval tenement; 3-room, through-passage plan,
with lower-end (right of passage) rear wing; rear extension and front shell porch of
1718. A full, detailed report by John R L Thorp, with elevations and plans, in MS,
dated June 1983, should be consulted before any decisions are made regarding this
building. Parlour heated by left-hand end stack; hall by rear lateral stack; lower-
end by (now dismantled) right-hand end stack; the chamber above the hall was
certainly heated and the other 1st floor chambers probably heated, as part of the
early-C17 design. 3 storeys.
Front: 4 bays, each bay separately gabled; ground floor with main entrance marking
former through passage right of centre now under shell hood on shaped brackets and
Tuscan columns, with panelled reveals. The porch and the three 5-light casement
windows, 21 leaded panes per light, date from 1718. 1st floor: 3 oriels; those to
hall and parlour chambers each of 6 lights; that to lower-end chamber (extending over
passage) of 10 lights; all with ovolo moulded mullions and transom, the latter with
central King-post; 3 horizontal glazing bars to all, with some elaborate iron
latches; attention is drawn to the detailed comments on the ferramenta in Thorp's
report. Oriel supported on scroll brackets and coved between, 1 to each room under
separate gable, all renewed. Scroll brackets support roof valleys. Facade flanked
by stone side walls, corbelled out at 2nd floor level; each bears inscription stone,
'TT' and bench mark to the left, '1603, T.T.' to the right. Right-hand elevation
(Tiverton Lane) retains its original guttering with vine leaf decoration.
Rear with rainwater head dated 1718; brick with burnt headers; large round-headed
window lights stairwell. 2 of the C17 gable-walls survive exposed.
Interior: internal partitions all timber framed; hall cross beam (now concealed)
with double ovolo-moulding and run-out stops; hall chamber fireplace (now concealed)
with ovolo moulded sandstone jambs; C17 newel staircase survives at 1st and 2nd
floor levels; one of the 2nd floor rooms retains its square-headed, ovolo-moulded
door surround. C18 stairwell, stairs with flat handrail, square newel posts, twisted
balusters and moulded closed string. C18 round-headed arch to stairs; hall with
bolection panelling, and - to the ceiling - ogee cornice and 2 arch panels (copied on
the renovated lower-end ceiling in the early 1980s); contemporary plaster cornices
elsewhere.
Roof: 4 separate roofs with gabled ends towards street; 2 trusses to each, morticed
and pegged at apex; collar dovetailed and fixed by nails; 2 sets of through purlins;
front bays with wind braces.
Reference: this report is heavily dependent upon the detailed survey by J R L Thorp
(1983); Mr Thorp kindly made the survey available to the- resurvey team (1985).


Listing NGR: ST0204307329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.