This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.857 / 50°51'25"N
Longitude: -3.393 / 3°23'34"W
OS Eastings: 302045
OS Northings: 107311
OS Grid: ST020073
Mapcode National: GBR LN.V679
Mapcode Global: FRA 36ST.V8L
Entry Name: The Walronds
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95284
Location: Cullompton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Cullompton
Built-Up Area: Cullompton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Cullompton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CULLOMPTON FORE STREET (west side),
ST 00 NW
10/94 No. 6 (The Walronds)
Large detached town house. Completed in 1605, with later (C18 and particularly C19)
modifications. Built by John Peter, the house came into the possession of the Portman
family in the late C17 and was tenanted by the Walronds, hence its name. Local
coursed sandstone rubble with some volcanic trap, and Beerstone dressing. Gabled-end
slate roofs, with some asbestos slate to rear of south (left-hand) cross-wing.
Plan: single-depth main range containing through-passage, hall (to the right) heated
by an external rear lateral stack, and service-end (to the left) which consists of
several small rooms, considerably reordered over the years, but retaining the original
buttery, pantry and kitchen; 2 cross-wings which, with the main range, present a
symmetrical front, but a markedly asymmetrical rear elevation. The 1st floor of the
main range contained 2 main bedrooms, one heated by an external stack that is
separate from but adjacent to the hall stack. These rooms were further subdivided in
the late C19, when a front corridor was inserted; it is possible, although unlikely,
that th eupper floor of the main range originally was comprised of a single long
gallery; access to it is by way of 2 stairs, a newel from the service-end and a dog-
leg string staircase (altered int he C18) which leads up into the attic and which
occupies the rear of the north cross wing forming, in effect, a stair turret with a
cellar below, but above ground level. The front section of this wing contains the
parlour with a principal bedroom above, both heated by an external lateral stack. The
original plan of the south wing is more difficult to reconstruct: the Great Chamber
(1st floor, to the front) is heated by an external lateral stack that is corbelled
out at this level; the room below, presumably used for storage, was unheated. The
wing extended further to the rear than it does now (foundations survive under the rear
yard) but was partially dismantled, probably in the C18. Unlike the remainder of the
house this wing is of jointed cruck construction. Original garret accommodation
survives here. Some truncated rafters survive at the junction of the wing with the
main range suggesting that either the newel stair was separately gabled (cf Bradninch
Manor) or that another wing was projected. 2 1/2 storeys.
Exterior: front: symmetrical, the main range and the 2 cross wings enclose a small
cobbled forecourt. Wings each of one bay with an inner face of 2 bays; main range of
3 bays, the central entrance bay, blind to 1st floor, rising almost to almost the
roof ridge level and separately gabled. Dressed stone quoins and moulded plinth
string course. Garret windows, one to each gable wall of wing, of 4-lights; all
other windows of 3-lights; all with double ovolo moulded Beerstone surrounds and
mullions; all (except gable-wall windows) under sandstone hood moulds. Leaded panes,
some latticed, many with stanchions. Wide ovolo moulded door surround. All gables
with coping and surmounted by square obelisks.
Left-hand (south) elevation: truncated external stack, corbelled out, heats the great
chamber; one 3-light window, with multiple roll moulded surround and mullions,
lacking its sill; one old doorway surround not in situ (possibly removed in C19);
other windows to this side C19 or C20. The timber carriage entrance arch to the
access to the rear tenement, with ovolo moulded surround, is possibly contemporary
with the house.
Right-hand (north) elevation: external lateral stack with 2 pairs of set-offs heats
parlour and parlour-chamber. One 2-light cyma recta moulded stone window to attic,
another weathered 2-light window to 1st floor, of indeterminate moulding; the rear
part of the wing (containing the stairs) projects with one single-light ovolo moulded
window set at lst floor level to the front face of the projection.
Rear: external lateral stack to left with pair of set-offs, with stack serving
chamber above attached to it corbelled at eaves level. Stone shafts. One 2-light and
one 3-light window to the right-hand side of stack at 1st floor level, one of 3-
lights to the left, all with ovolo moulded stone surrounds and mullions, 24 leaded
panes per light. 3-light window to ground floor, left of stack, ovolo moulded as
above, but with hood mould; a 2-light window to right of stack, has no hood mould, but
a composite ovolo and cyma recta moulding to surround and jambs. Rear door surround
with ovolo moulding. To the right of this and set in the angle between main range and
south wing is the newel stair turret lit by a 2-light ovolo moulded window to 1st and
ground floor level; a quatrefoil and a shallow pointed lancet have been reset at
ground level, probably in the C19. Inner face of south wing with 3-light ovolo
moulded ground floor window and a C19 chamfered door surround, the other windows also
later, the 3-light ovolo moulded window under timber hood mould to rear of wing
possibly C18. Inner and rear faces of north wing with 2 and 3 light ovolo moulded
stone windows severely weathered; what since the C18 has been the cellar set below
the stairs but above ground, is lit by small lancets.
Interior: (1) Through-passage: ground floor rooms both plank and muntin screens
survive, with cyma recta mouldings, hollow step stops, carpenter's mitres; 2
doorways, moulded with cranked lintels to both screens, one to the hall blocked. C18
Service-end: deep chamfered ceiling cross beams to kitchen. Rear newel with
octagonal newel post and finial, and original treads and risers. The arrangement of
the ground floor rooms at this level has been much altered; post and wattle partitions
(possibly C17) survive dividing the kitchen from the other rooms in the wing, but
most internal walls are probably C19; the ground floor storage area of the south wing
formerly extended well back with 2 deep chamfered cross beams, one with bulbous step
Hall: the hall side of the passage screen has had deal horizontal pieces inserted to
match the higher end screen that divides the hall from the stair passage; this screen
is of 4 tiers, scratch moulding, with debased fluted Ionic pilasters; cornice to room
with composite moulding and a frieze of tulips (continuous except to lower end).
Chimneypiece with overmantel, dated 1605, stone jambs and lintel with continuous cyma
recta moulding and bulbous step stops; the plaster overmantel with strapwork
decoration, a central panel containing the impaled arms of Peter and Parris, and
swags of fruit and flowers; the whole with 2 Indians as bearers. Cyma recta moulded
door surround to front parlour and to stair passage, one with early fielded-panel
door. C18 barley-sugar balusters and rail added to C17 main string stair.
Parlour (north wing): wall panelling, 5 tiers, the upper panels with inlay work, each
divided by decorated brackets; chimneypiece with Ionic pilasters, a cornice forming
capitals to pilasters, lintel and jambs with composite ovolo and cyma recta moulding;
the overmantel with inlaid wooden arches; dentilled cornice, double detached shafts.
Plaster ceiling with single ribbed design based on a central device of 8 radiating
ribs, with interseting squares and angle sprays. 3 C17 window catches survive in
(2) lst floor: The Great Chamber: fine single-ribbed plaster ceiling with central
floral motif, 6 radiating ribs, with squares and concave-sided diamonds, and angle
sprays. Chimneypiece with continuous composite moulded stone lintel and jambs, a
moulded cornice with fleurons; overmantel with arms of Parris impaling Peter, 2 angel
bearers, contained in a strapwork scroll surround and with the date 1605; moulded
cornice. The chamber had a small ante-chamber approached through a door-surround with
pediment, cranked lintel, and fluted pilasters.
Parlour chamber: plaster ceiling with a single motif and single ribs, based on a
simplified variant of parlour ceiling design; continuous decorated cornice. Cranked
doorway lintel and moulded jambs.
Rear bedroom: fireplace with stone jambs with composite moulding, with wooden
lintel; overmantel with what is possibly a hop or wheat motif, and a vine.
Roofs and attic: ceiled, coved garret to south wing, with jointed crucks; the
remainder cleared of internal partitions in 1890; 3 trusses to main elevation; apex
carpentry of principals, morticed and pegged, tie beams. The roof construction of
The Walronds bears close affinities with that to The Manor House Hotel of 1603 (q.v.)
References: this fine early C17 town house which is remarkably intact, has not been
properly surveyed. Useful notes by Miss June Severn were made available at the time
of the resurvey (March 1985). The plasterwork is discussed briefly in K & G French
"Devonshire Plasterwork", Trans. Devonshire Association 89, (1957), 129; it is there
suggested that the plasterwork at The Walronds has similarities with the work of
William Arnold (cf work at Montacute House, Somerset).
Listing NGR: ST0204507316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings