This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8264 / 50°49'35"N
Longitude: -3.421 / 3°25'15"W
OS Eastings: 300015
OS Northings: 103946
OS Grid: ST000039
Mapcode National: GBR LL.XC4Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 36QX.92Y
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95233
Location: Bradninch, Mid Devon, Devon, EX5
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Bradninch
Built-Up Area: Bradninch
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bradninch St Disen
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BRADNINCH MILL WAY (east side),
SS 90 SE
13/41 Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel. Dated 1832, with rear extensions of 1870 and C20, and front porch
of 1917. Rendered, under gabled-end slate roof. 2 storeys.
Front: 3 bays, under gable end with parapet, with a diamond-shaped datestone in
gable wall, each bay triangular headed and divided by giant pilasters with moulded
capitals, and identical pilaster quoins, the moulded capitals returning to form the
cornice to the side elevations. The middle bay is wider than the others. Upper
windows, 2 lights, triangular headed, 8 panes per light with diamond-shaped top
lights. The ground-floor side windows are similar but formerly served as entrances
prior to the addition of the central porch; flat-roofed, with entrance to left-hand
side, and a 3-light square-headed window to the front.
Side elevations: 5 window range, 3 to 'nave', 2 to 'chancel', those towards the
entrance end blocked; the 2-light triangular headed left hand side 'nave' windows
have lost their top lights in a 1980s double-glazing scheme, but the glazing is
intact to the right-hand side, with 8 panes per light. Red brick rear extension
(for 1870 schoolroom) and C20 roughcast room supported on stilts are of no special
Interior: plain ceiled roof; timber gallery at entrance end with 3 pairs of panels
with Greek key motifs divided by pilasters, under moulded cornice and rail, reached
by staircase with turned balusters. Porch window with First World War memorial
window portraying St George, St Michael and Joan of Arc.
Listing NGR: ST0001503946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings