This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8274 / 50°49'38"N
Longitude: -3.4216 / 3°25'17"W
OS Eastings: 299972
OS Northings: 104054
OS Grid: SS999040
Mapcode National: GBR LL.XC00
Mapcode Global: FRA 36QX.8TK
Entry Name: 18 and 20, Fore Street
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95213
Location: Bradninch, Mid Devon, Devon, EX5
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Bradninch
Built-Up Area: Bradninch
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bradninch St Disen
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BRADNINCH FORE STREET (west side),
SS 90 NE
11/21 Nos. 18 & 20
2 houses forming part of a long row. Built 1685 after the second major Bradninch
fire, and considerably altered and enlarged in the C19 and again in the 1920s. Cob
and stone, plastered, under dry-slate roof. Formerly a 3-room, cross-passage plan,
no. 18 occupying the inner room, and No.20 the others, with the lower-end to the
right. 2 storey.
Front: 3 window range, tripartite horned sash windows to both floors; with one
pane per sash; both house entrances under moulded canopies on console brackets.
End stacks, and one axial stack. The house has been considerably enlarged at the
back, notably in the mid-1920s in the form of 2 wings, each with two 1-light horned
sash windows; and there is a late-C19 glazed, timber workshop, formerly detached.
Interior: C17 features survive in the left-hand room of no. 20 (formerly the Hall)
- one cross beam with run-out stop with bar - and the ground floor room of No.18 -
one axial beam with run-out stops. The Hall fireplace has been blocked: it was
formerly adorned with plaster panels, one bearing the letters CR: the house was
rebuilt after the fire of winter 1684-5, and as Charles II died in February 1685,
it must date from those winter months.
Listing NGR: SS9997204054
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings