History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dewsmoor

A Grade II Listed Building in Crediton Hamlets, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7983 / 50°47'53"N

Longitude: -3.6896 / 3°41'22"W

OS Eastings: 281022

OS Northings: 101216

OS Grid: SS810012

Mapcode National: GBR L7.Z33G

Mapcode Global: FRA 365Z.DDX

Entry Name: Dewsmoor

Listing Date: 20 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105978

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95164

Location: Crediton Hamlets, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Crediton Hamlets

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Crediton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text

SS 80 SW CREDITON HAMLET

3/63 Dewsmoor

II


House, originally 2 cottages. Late C17, extended in 1856 and C20. Plastered cob
on rubble footings with C20 blockwork; cob or rubble stack topped with C20 brick;
thatched roofs. Originally a pair of 1-room cottages facing south with mirror
plans about central cob dividing wall. Single room extension of 1856 to rear of
right (east) cottage under parallel roof and C20 single bay extension to left
(west). 2 storeys. Overall 5-window front. Door with thatched porch and 2
windows above belong to C20 extension. Remaining 3 windows to original cottages
are wooden casements with glazing bars, C19 to ground floor, C20 to first. Glazed
door right of centre in original position and adjacent door to left now blocked
with window. Central first floor window intruded in C20. Roof hipped each end and
was so before extension. Rear block dated by iron rainwater head in angle of wings
which bears date 1856 and Star of David motif. Inside original rooms have axial
crossbeams, chamfered with straight cut stops and remains of diagonal corner
fireplaces sharing same stack to rear. 4-bay roof is original with A-frame trusses
with pegged lap-jointed collars.


Listing NGR: SS8102201216

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.