This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7343 / 50°44'3"N
Longitude: -3.9105 / 3°54'37"W
OS Eastings: 265273
OS Northings: 94484
OS Grid: SX652944
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.8384
Mapcode Global: FRA 27P4.JBT
Entry Name: 2 Oades Headstones Approximately 15 Metres West of North Aisle of Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 4 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95019
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 69 SE SOUTH TAWTON SOUTH TAWTON
4/219 2 Oades headstones
approximately 15 metres west of
north aisle of Church of St.
Pair of headstones. One is dated 1702, the other 1772, both in memory of members of
the Oades family. Both are granite. The left one stands approximately 350mm high and
is a double headstone, each half with a round head inscribed with a geometric design
(looking like a pair of eyes). It is inscribed with large upper and lower case
lettering and records the deaths of Thomas and Elizabeth Oades in 1701 and 1702. The
right one stands approximately 550 mm with a segmental head. The front has a simple
incised border and an inscription in Roman serif upper and lower case lettering. It
records the death of Deborah Oades in 1772.
Listing NGR: SX6529194490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings