This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7339 / 50°44'2"N
Longitude: -3.9101 / 3°54'36"W
OS Eastings: 265302
OS Northings: 94439
OS Grid: SX653944
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.83CL
Mapcode Global: FRA 27P4.QHC
Entry Name: Crosstree Plinth
Listing Date: 4 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95026
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 69 SE SOUTH TAWTON SOUTH TAWTON
4/226 Crosstree Plinth
Plinth built around the old village elm, replaced by an oak sapling in 1984. Dated
1863, erected at the expense of H.A. Hoare. Coursed blocks of granite ashlar.
Square in plan the walls rise vertically and step in at the top. On the south side
there is a shallow recess containing a granite bench, which according to a plaque
above was put there in 1953 to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
The north and west sides are blind although there is a granite trough against the
west side. The south side once had a tap set in an ornate cast iron frame (somewhat
like a Victorian fireplace grate). The plate filling the round-arch has embossed
lettering recording the erection of the plinth by H.A. Hoare Esq, of Oxenham, July
Listing NGR: SX6531794429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings