This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7487 / 50°44'55"N
Longitude: -3.9075 / 3°54'26"W
OS Eastings: 265529
OS Northings: 96078
OS Grid: SX655960
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.740Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 27P3.KHK
Entry Name: Kitchen Garden Walls Immediately North East of Wood House
Listing Date: 4 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94976
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 69 NE SOUTH TAWTON
1/179 Kitchen garden walls immediately
north-east of Wood House
Kitchen garden walls. 1899-1905 by Thomas Mawson. Granite rubble, carefully chosen
to appear as walls of crazy paving with some granite ashlar dressing, some slate
coping, some slate and brick dressings and slate roof to the service rooms and glass
roofs to the hot and green houses.
Plan and description: large kitchen garden built across a gentle slope facing north-
east with a series of service buildings at the north-west end including the mens
shed, tool shed, mushroom and forcing shed, seed store, fruit room and a 2-storey
boiler room and potting shed. All these are granite with brick dressings and have
timber casements with glazing bars and plain carpentry and joinery detail. In front
of these are a series of glass-roofed structures inlcuding the peat house, vinerys,
palm house, plant houses and cold frames; all glazed iron-framed structures, mostly
on granite footings but some on brick (now disused). A lane separates the kitchen
garden and its associated garden from Wood House (q.v.). The most noteworthy
feature is the watering well or fountain in the north corner. Behind it the outer
wall is higher than the rest with ashlar coping and series of small corbels. In
front, that is to say, backing onto the house's service courtyard and facing into
the kitchen garden, the watering reservoir is contained within a semi-circular
retaining wall and was fed through a fountain in a blocked round-headed alcove
defined by blocks up-ended slates set at alternative angles. The massive keystone
here once included a bronze lion's head tap. The doorway to right of this has a
round head and ovolo-moulded surround and contains the original door. To left,
running parallel with the house the wall has flat-topped granite coping (some of it
collapsed). Once past the house (where there is another doorway from the main
formal garden) the walling reverts to slate coping.
The kitchen garden is enormous and intended to produce an income rather than simply
feed the household. It is part of an extensive landscaping scheme conceived by
Mawson to go with the rebuilding of Wood House (q.v.). Mawson himself considered
the whole one of his major achievements.
Source: T H Mawson The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (5th edition) includes
copious notes and illustrations of Wood House.
Listing NGR: SX6552996078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings