History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowling Green Pavilion Approximately 100 Metres South of Wood House

A Grade II* Listed Building in South Tawton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7474 / 50°44'50"N

Longitude: -3.9088 / 3°54'31"W

OS Eastings: 265430

OS Northings: 95935

OS Grid: SX654959

Mapcode National: GBR Q7.79P5

Mapcode Global: FRA 27P3.K0S

Entry Name: Bowling Green Pavilion Approximately 100 Metres South of Wood House

Listing Date: 4 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1106028

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94979

Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: South Tawton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
South Tawton

Listing Text

SX 69 NE SOUTH TAWTON

1/182 Bowling Green Pavilion
approximately 100 metres south of
Wood House
GV II*

Pavilion. 1889-1905 by Thomas Mawson. Granite ashlar, more rubbley on the lesser
sides.
Plan and description: pavilion in a simple classical style like a loggia. It faces
north-east, built across the hillslope and terraced into it. 3-bay arcade of plain
round-headed arches on square-section piers interrupting a dripcourse at impost
level. Each end wings break forward with similar round-headed arches in shallow
square-headed recesses each front end. These end arches lead to steps rising over
changing rooms each end of the arcade. Paved balcony on the top with an open
balustrade with turned balusters identical to those used on the parapet over the
hall of Wood House (q.v.).
This pavilion is part of an extensive landscaping scheme conceived by Mawson to go
with the rebuilding of Wood House (q.v.). Mawson himself considered the whole
scheme as one of his major achievements.
Source: T H Mawson The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (5th edition) includes
copious notes and illustrations of Wood House.


Listing NGR: SX6543095935

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.