This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.71 / 50°42'36"N
Longitude: -3.877 / 3°52'37"W
OS Eastings: 267568
OS Northings: 91722
OS Grid: SX675917
Mapcode National: GBR Q8.HRSC
Mapcode Global: FRA 27R6.KDG
Entry Name: Cowhouse Approximately 3 Metres East of Gooseford Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106053
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94941
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 69 SE SOUTH TAWTON
4/147 Cowhouse approximately 3
metres east of Goose ford Farmhouse
Cowhouse, former farmhouse. Dated 1641 and all features are consistent with this
date, partly rebuilt when converted from a farmhouse to a cowhouse circa 1900.
Granite stone rubble with large roughly-dressed quoins and sections of large coursed
blocks of granite ashlar. Disused granite stack; corrugated iron roof, formerly
Plan: 3-room plan house built across the hillslope facing south. The internal
arrangement has been much-altered and a much longer study of the fabric than was
possibe for this survey is needed to discover the layout in detail. The right end
room has an end stack. It is thought that an axial stack served the other rooms but
no evidence of it remains. 2 storeys.
Exterior: irregular 3-window front, the windows are blocked. Ground floor right
window has been enlarged to a doorway. A plaque inscribed Anno Do 1641 flanked by
labels inscribed OL has been reset high in the wall right of centre. Roof is hipped
both ends. The rear elevation has been similarly rearranged. Central doorway here
has been rebuilt. Above it is the only original window left, an oak 3-light window
with ovolo-moulded mullions. A second door to right contains an oak C17 doorframe
with ovolo-moulded surround has been reset facing inwards.
Interior: has plain chamfered crossbeams. The fireplace has a similarly-finished
oak lintel. 7-bay roof of A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars.
Lega-Weekes who saw the house in 1896 before its conversion describes "a gabled
porch with a pointed entrance-arch of moulded granite, retaining a very heavy oak
door, studded with monster nails, above which was a table dated 1641 and a mullioned
window, on whose dripstone-corbels appeared the letters CL".
Source: E Lega-Weekes, Neighbours of North Wyke, Park I Trans. Devon. Assoc. 33
(1901), pp 447 - 448.
Listing NGR: SX6756891722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings