This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6751 / 50°40'30"N
Longitude: -3.8568 / 3°51'24"W
OS Eastings: 268895
OS Northings: 87804
OS Grid: SX688878
Mapcode National: GBR Q9.RYSV
Mapcode Global: FRA 27T9.77Q
Entry Name: Holystreet Manor
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94572
Location: Chagford, West Devon, Devon, TQ13
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Chagford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chagford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 68 NE CHAGFORD
3/41 Holystreet Manor
Mansion. C16 or early C17 core but most was rebuilt 1913-14. The older walling is
of coursed blocks of granite ashlar detail, the rebuilding work is brick-faced with
granite rubble tending to courses with granite ashlar quoins and detail; granite
stacks with granite ashlar chimney shafts; slate roof.
Plan and development: the 1913-14 rebuilding works were so extensive that only a
fragment of exterior walling survives from the former house. This is on the south
(garden) side. Here is the front passage doorway with what was probably the hall and
inner room to left (west) of it, and what may have been a parlour wing projecting
forward from a putative inner room. The hall has an axial stack backing onto the
passage and the parlour has an end stack.
The rest of the house has been completely rebuilt as a commodious Edwardian residence
but done so in a Tudor style consistent with the earlier work. The principal rooms
are those in the south wing. Besides the rooms of the original house described above
there is another parlour right (east) of the passage with an outer axial stack and
right of this a chapel dedicated to St. Boniface over another room. Access to the
chapel is gained by an external stair and it has a projecting front lateral stack.
It projects forward from the east wing. This wing has the present main doorway and
porch with accommodation to right, 2 rooms with an axial stack between. The end
ground floor is the boilerhouse and this end projects forward from the north wing.
This north wing is double depth and has a 2-room plan with an axial stack between. A
single storey corridor connects the ends of the north and south wings across the
north side. The rooms on the north and east sides house the service rooms. 2
storeys with attics.
Exterior. The main front faces south onto the garden and the central 3-window
section is nearly symmetrical about the central doorway. The doorway is early C17.
It is a segmental, nearly round-headed, arch with moulded surround, carved spandrels
and a hoodmould with florettes carved onto the labels. Directly above is a
contemporary 3-light window with chamfered mullions. The gable above has been
rebuilt with shaped kneelers and coping and containing a small rectangular niche.
This bay is articulated as a porch by the flanking buttresses of 1913-14. A
relieving arch of the same date springs from the buttresses over the first floor
windows. The hall window to left is early C17. It is tall, 4-lights with central
king mullion and hoodmould. Above another contemporary 3-light mullioned window.
The inner face of the parlour wing also has a ground floor 4-light and first floor 3-
light window. The labels to the hoodmould here are carved with the initials T and R
but the label carving of the hall window have worn away. All these early C17 windows
have chamfered granite mullions. To right of the doorway the windows date from 1913-
14, a ground floor 3-light mullion-and-transom window and a first floor 3-light
mullioned window. Both have granite chamfered mullions. The entrance bay gable is
flanked by 2-light timber casement dormers with hipped roofs. The gable end of the
parlour wing has single light first floor windows either side of the stack. Ground
floor right a doorway in a Tudor arch with a mullioned overlight. The hall window
contains diamond panes of leaded glass. The others, throughout the house, contain
rectangular panes of leaded glass. The gable, like all the others, has shaped
kneelers and coping. The eaves, right round the house, have slate soffits.
The apex of the gable end of the chapel is carried forward on corbels to form a hood
over an arch-headed niche containing a carved figure of St. Boniface. There is a
granite apex cross here. Ground floor 4-light mullion-and-transom window and a
triple lancet window to the chapel. The central lancet is taller and its head is
cusped. The hoodmould steps up over this central lancet. In the right side is the
external chapel doorway, a 2-central arch, gained by a flight of granite steps
enclosed by a granite wall. The porch, at the left end of the east wing, has a 3-
centred outer arch and the doorway behind has a round-headed arch and is flanked by
side lights. The porch is gabled. This front overall has a 4-window front of 1, 2
and 3 light mullioned windows and there are 3 dormers containing timber casements
with hipped roofs. The north front has a 2-window front, tall ground floor 5-light
mullion-and-transom windows and first floor 4-light mullioned windows and a single
dormer. There is a doorway in the rear of the east wing; a Tudor arch with a
mullioned overlight. The west side has an irregular disposition of timber ovolo-
moulded mullion windows and the gables here are slate hung. All the doors round the
house dated from 1913-14. They are heavily studded moulded plank doors with large
hand-tooled wrought iron strap hinges.
Interior is well-preserved. The former hall and parlour fireplaces may be C17. Both
are plain granite ashlar. The hall has a late C17 overmantel of ornamental
plasterwork featuring a heraldic achievement. However this is probably not in situ.
The rest of the interior structure and detail is wholly 1913-14 in date. The most
impressive part is the stair hall. This has a flag floor and contains a monumental
oak open well staircase. It has large square newel posts with large vase-like
finials and moulded pendants, closed string, heavily moulded balusters and moulded
handrail. It has a large open firplace with a soffit-moulded segmental head. Large
round-headed granite arches lead off to the rooms and corridor. The first floor
landing is like a C17 gallery and the other walls are oak framed with a continuous
range of internal borrowed-light windows around. The roof here is exposed and late
medieval in style with arch-braced trusses with king posts and queen struts. The
rooms have exposed timber crossbeams large open granite fireplaces and round-headed
granite doorways with studded plank doors. Roof dates from 1913-14 throughout.
Holystreet Manor is a most attractive Tudor-style house with equally attractive
listed stables (q.v.) and Coach House (q.v.). It is set in an exceptionally
picturesque valley location.
Listing NGR: SX6889587804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings