This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6745 / 50°40'28"N
Longitude: -3.848 / 3°50'52"W
OS Eastings: 269520
OS Northings: 87725
OS Grid: SX695877
Mapcode National: GBR QB.YTGQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 27T9.BQ7
Entry Name: Pond Cottage Including Pond Walls Adjoining to South-East
Listing Date: 28 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94593
Location: Chagford, West Devon, Devon, TQ13
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Chagford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chagford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 68 NE CHAGFORD
3/64 Pond Cottage including pond walls
28.4.87 adjoining to south-east
House, former fulling mill and pond. Mid C19, rearranged somewhat when converted to
cottages circa 1900. Plastered granite with timber-framed upper floor; granite
stacks with brick chimney shafts; thatch roof (maybe slate originally).
Plan: the building faces north-west backing onto the pond and its associated
workings. It has a 2-room plan. Each room was heated by a front lateral stack.
These stacks may be secondary but the evidence is unclear. Indeed the internal
crosswall may also be secondary. The upper floor was converted to domestic use circa
1900 and at this time the attic floor was probably inserted. A central axial stack
serves the attic rooms. Originally the ground floor was used as a fulling mill.
There is evidence for underfloor channels, one through each room and maybe an
undershot water wheel against the right end wall powered the machinery. The upper
floor was then a cloth drying loft. Behind the house is a narrow reservoir separated
from the pond by a dam. This provided water for the underfloor channels through the
mill and was fed from the pond by a sluice. Another sluice from the pond fed the
putative wheel at the right end of the building.
Exterior: most of the windows are on the back. The front has 3 doorways. The right
one was inserted circa 1900 through the fireplace of that room. The other 2 are
probably original. External stone stairs rise to the circa 1900 cottages and these
may be secondary. The ground floor is built of rubble, the upper floor is timber
framed and clad with original louvre boards. These were retained as a kind of
weatherboarding when the building was converted to cottages. Roof is gable-ended and
the louvre boards extend right up to the apex. The rear or pond side has a regular
4-window front of C19 and C20 casements, the oldest containing rectangular panes of
Interior contains plain but sturdy carpentry detail. The first floor structure
contains evidence of hatches from the ground to the first floor. The roof structure
is not accessible although it can be seen to be made of deal trusses.
The pond and dam are built mostly of large blocks of granite ashlar although the
south-east side is built of stone rubble. The pond is approximately 75 metres long
and its original depth is nearly 2 metres. It is fed by a natural stream and has an
overflow channel in the northern corner.
Pond Cottage, formerly known as Eaglehurst Mill, is an interesting relic of the
Listing NGR: SX6952087725
Other nearby listed buildings