This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9701 / 54°58'12"N
Longitude: -1.6069 / 1°36'24"W
OS Eastings: 425260
OS Northings: 564017
OS Grid: NZ252640
Mapcode National: GBR SQ6.Y9
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.9B1N
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304782
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Ouseburn
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2564 SW and NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE PILGRIM STREET
NZ 2563 NW (south end off)
21/452 and 24/452 Church of All Saints
Parish church; now urban studies centre and concert hall. 1786-96 by David
Stephenson replacing medieval church. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. Oval
plan, with apses on short axis west-east; south chapel and vestry flank portico
and tower. Classical style, with baroque tower. Greek Doric tetrastyle portico
has dentilled pediment; flanking windows have tripartite sashes in Ionic pilasters
under shallow lunettes with glazing bars; voussoirs continuous with chanelled
rustication. Rusticated plinth supports paired Ionic pilasters defining bays,
with top entablature. Returns have similar window treatment to 2-bay chapel and
vestry. Oval continues plinth and Ionic Order framing segmental-headed windows;
round-headed gallery windows have balustrades; top dentilled cornice continuous
with pediments of tower. 4-stage tower has segmental-headed windows under
dentilled pediments; tall arched panels above with louvred lunettes under dentilled
cornice; clock faces flanked by plinths of paired diagonal columns; tripartite
windows above. Set-back top stage has round balustrade and set-back open-arched
belfry with paired corner columns; top spire. Double door in portico and in west
apse. Both apses have blind panels, the upper balustraded and with swags. Fluted
impost strings. Low, flat-coped walls flank 3 flights of steps to portico.
Interior: painted plaster above panelled mahogany dado, moulded plaster ceiling
with much leaf and flower ornament; dentilled cornice. Panelled pews join fluted
Doric columns supporting balcony, all mahogany. Corinthian Order in east apse;
organ in west concealing exit. Vestibule under tower contains replica of medieval
font with heraldic shields; memorials on walls include marble plaque commemorating
David Stephenson, architect, died 1819, by Davies; low-relief obelisk on mount to
Edward Moses d.1813, son of the master of the Grammar School, by Davies with Greek
and Latin inscriptions; and to Joseph Garnett, died 1796, a bracketed marble slab
with book and drapery, by Craggs. Former vestry contains boards of Creed, Lord's
Prayer and Commandments from church. Source: T. Sopwith A Historical and
Descriptive Account of All Saints' Church in Newcastle upon Tyne Newcastle 1826.
Tyne and Wear Museums Service The Tyneside Classical Tradition 1980.
Listing NGR: NZ2526064017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings