This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9497 / 51°56'58"N
Longitude: 0.4432 / 0°26'35"E
OS Eastings: 568004
OS Northings: 230727
OS Grid: TL680307
Mapcode National: GBR NFG.QW4
Mapcode Global: VHJJ2.M8N7
Entry Name: Gibraltar Mill
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Last Amended: 17 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115334
Location: Great Bardfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Great Bardfield
Built-Up Area: Great Bardfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Bardfield St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 63 NE GREAT BARDFIELD MILL ROAD
3/195 Gibraltar Mill
21.12.67 (Formerly listed under
Tower windmill, now a dwelling. Early C18, converted 1934. Plastered red
brick, boarded cap. Built in 2 stages, originally octagonal to a height of 6.10
metres, later raised to 9.77 metres, reducing to a circular plan. Wall
thickness 1.20 metres at the base. Single-storey domestic extension to NE, of
plastered brick with shingled roof. 4 floors with C20 casements on each. Boat-
shaped cap, stocks and skeleton sails, fantail gear without fantail. Height
overall 13.44 metres. Farries finds the earliest documentary evidence of it in
1707, and concludes that it was built after the great storm of 1703, which
destroyed many mills, as an experimental tower mill with exceptionally massive
walls, completed soon after the sieges of Gibraltar, 1704-5. It was not
successful commercially, and was converted to a cottage, with an inserted stack
in the wall. It was converted back to a mill in 1754 and raised to its present
height. It was derelict 1899-1904 after storm damage and was then equipped with
the present fantail gear. It had one pair of stones. Some of the equipment
remains in situ. (K.G. Farries, Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights, vol.
3, 1984, 24-7). . .. . . .
Listing NGR: TL6800430727
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings