This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9125 / 50°54'44"N
Longitude: -3.2309 / 3°13'51"W
OS Eastings: 313557
OS Northings: 113277
OS Grid: ST135132
Mapcode National: GBR LV.QZ5F
Mapcode Global: FRA 463P.K37
Entry Name: Pair of Outbuildings 4 Metres East of Hemyock Castle Gatehouse
Listing Date: 13 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95712
Location: Hemyock, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Hemyock
Built-Up Area: Hemyock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Hemyock St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 11 SW HEMYOCK CORNHILL, Hemyock
5/56 Pair of outbuildings 4 metres east
of Hemyock Castle Gatehouse
A pair of outbuildings; their precise function is not known, but it was probably
for storage. Circa 1800. Random rubble flint; gable-end corrugated iron roof. 2
single-celled, 2 storeyed structures, running parallel to each other and flanking
the approach from the parish church to the castle. Each west elevation with pointed
stone doorway arch (one with a planked and studded door), and pointed window to
ground floor (one blocked, the other with central mullion and saddle bars), and loft
access above, also pointed. Collar rafter trusses, morticed and pegged at apex.
These buildings contribute to an attractive group comprising the castle house and
gatehouse, and the parish church. They were probably built during the occupation
of General Simcoe, the first Governor General of Canada.
Listing NGR: ST1355713277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings