This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8157 / 50°48'56"N
Longitude: -3.8232 / 3°49'23"W
OS Eastings: 271659
OS Northings: 103378
OS Grid: SS716033
Mapcode National: GBR L1.XZ61
Mapcode Global: FRA 26WY.2CX
Entry Name: Barn and Stable Adjoining to East of Hayne Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95619
Location: Zeal Monachorum, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Zeal Monachorum
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Zeal Monachorum St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 SW
4/68 Barn and stable adjoining to east
- of Hayne Farmhouse
Barn and stable. Parts are probably C16 or early C17, much rebuilt in C19, probably
1809; refurbished and barn extended to right (east) in late C19-early C20. Mostly
local stone rubble, some of which is plastered, and some original cob on rubble
footings to rear of barn; corrugated iron roof (formerly thatch).
Barn and stable under continuous roof facing south. The stable adjoins east end of
Hayne Farmhouse (q.v.) with larger barn at right (east) end with full height
opposing doors to threshing floor.
Irregular front elevation of randomly-spaced openings. The stable at the left end
has a C19 doorway with a contemporary unglazed window and a hayloft loading hatch
further left. The barn doorway with flanking short projecting midstrey walls and
the roof carried down as a small hood is situated towards the left end of the barn.
The double doors are probably 1809, and have interesting C19 graffiti including
depictions of various plough types. There is an unglazed C19 window to left and to
right a secondary doorway, 2 small windows and first floor loading bay. The roof is
half-hipped at right end.
Interior: stable is floored by reused C17 soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped
crossbeam. The wooden manger is probably 1809 but the roof is late C19 with an A-
frame truss with nailed lap-jointed collar. Barn floor has central drain to hole in
end wall. Roof includes one C16 or early C17 side-pegged jointed cruck with
mortises for through purlins. The front post has been cut off but the rear post is
set in the cob there. The truss may be in situ. The rest of the roof is made up of
various A-frame trusses.
Several timbers appear ancient-and reused and some may derive from the pre-mid C17
Hayne Farmhouse. However the buildings were much altered during the general
refurbishment of the property by George Snell in 1809. They form part of an
attractive group with Hayne Farmhouse (q.v.) and the other barn (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SS7165903378
Other nearby listed buildings