This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8533 / 50°51'12"N
Longitude: -3.881 / 3°52'51"W
OS Eastings: 267691
OS Northings: 107665
OS Grid: SS676076
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.VGML
Mapcode Global: FRA 26RV.9TB
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 26 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95480
Location: Brushford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX18
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Brushford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Brushford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 60 NE
3/9 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Small parish church. Norman origins, chancel probably C14, nave probably C15, both
thoroughly renovated in 1876, early C16 west tower. Mostly local mudstone rubble
but includes some volcanic stone rubble; original granite and volcanic stone
detail; restoration detail in red sandstone and Portland stone; slate hung belfry;
slate roof with crested ridge tiles.
Nave, lower and narrower chancel, west tower, south porch. Pulpit passage projects
from south side, possibly adapted from former rood stair turret.
Various gothic styles. Low and unbuttressed west tower with timber-framed belfry
and small splay-footed spire. The belfry slate-hung circa 1980 with shaped slates.
It was formerly weather-boarded and hung with oak shingles in C19. Plain belfry
windows. On west side tower doorway is a late C16 early C17 granite 2-centred arch
with moulded surround. C19 studded plank door with vertical cover strips and plain
strap hinges. Above is a contemporary granite square-headed 3-light windows with
round heads and sunken spandrels and replaced mullions. North side has tiny lights
to internal stair turret. South side has small elliptical, almost round-headed
granite light to ringing loft. South side of nave is roughcast to left of porch
and contains a mostly - restored 2-light Perpendicular arch-headed window, and is
exposed rubble to right of porch and contains a rebuilt arch-headed window with
plain intersecting tracery. South porch of 1876 is gabled with roughcast walls,
Portland stone kneelers, coping and apex cross and 2-centred outer arch with
chamfered surround and contains C20 double doors. Pulpit passage turret includes
small C19 trefoil-headed light. Chancel apparently all 1876 work and has Decorated
style window tracery: a small 2-light window on south side, 2 3-light window on
east end and small lancet on northern side. East end has sandstone kneelers and
coping with a fleuree apex cross. Nave gable has a terracota fleuree cross. On the
north side there is a buttress between chancel and nave which is blind and
Interior mostly 1876 work but includes some good earlier features. South doorway
is a probably restored plain Norman arch and contains an old plank door with front
coverstrips fixed by large nails. Tall plain tower arch and inside early C16 beams
to ringing floor and small granite flat-arched doorway to newel stair with hollow-
chamfered surround. Nave has ceiled wagon roof, restored but still retaining some
much later C15 work. It is 8 bays with crenellated wall plate, moulded ribs
enriched with four-leaf decoration and several original carved oak bosses. Plain
C19 timber chancel arch and open wagon roof to chancel is C19. Windows have C19
stone near arches and ashlar quoins are exposed in chancel. Floor of pulpit
passage has reset slate graveslab of John Luxton (died 1676) and C19 flat arched
doorways. Floor of nave and chancel of coloured C19 tiles and chancel includes
contemporary encaustic tiles. C19 oak alter rail on heavy wrought iron supports
with foliate brackets. Plain C19 deal benches as choir stalls.
Fine and unusual late C15 Flamboyant gothic oak chancel screen, comprising 3 bays
either side of central door. Each bay has linenfold wainscotting, and square-
headed 2-light windows with twisted mullions and very French looking tracery, and
sub-tracery forming the finest filigree of Flamboyant curves only a little of which
survives. Attached shafts between bays have crocketted finals. Original ogee-
headed doorway with moulded surround was adapted for square-headed door (now
missing). A unique feature is the canopy which includes remains of 3 image
brackets. It appears never to have had a rood gallery and head now surmounted by
simple C19 crestwork.
Jacobean oak semi-octagonal drum pulpit on C19 sandstone base. Panelled sides have
lower carved strapwork panels and upper panels with ornate chip-carved blind arches
enriched with rosettes and a strapwork frieze above. C19 Beerstone Decorated
Gothic style octagonal font. 2 marble neo-classical mural monuments on both sides
of nave both with shaped plaques. One in memory of John Weston (died 1798) his
wife Anne (died 1801) and their descendents up to 1830, the other to the Rev. John
Luxton (died 1837). South side has plain plaque in memory of Abraham Tidboald
(died 1842). Late C19 stained glass in chancel and east end of nave.
Screen was either imported from Brittany or, more likely since it fits the church,
made by an immigrant Breton master craftsman. 2 nearby parish churches, Colebrooke
and Coldridge, have Flamboyant screens so similar as to be the work of the same
hand. They are very good.
Source: Devon SMR, Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SS6769107665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings