This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8998 / 50°53'59"N
Longitude: -3.8317 / 3°49'54"W
OS Eastings: 271292
OS Northings: 112749
OS Grid: SS712127
Mapcode National: GBR L1.RP3H
Mapcode Global: FRA 26VQ.K23
Entry Name: Chawleigh Barton Including Rubble and Cob Garden Wall Adjoining to South
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106614
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95508
Location: Chawleigh, Mid Devon, Devon, EX18
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Chawleigh
Built-Up Area: Chawleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chawleigh St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 71 SW
2/37 Chawleigh Barton including
rubble and cob garden wall
adjoining to south.
Farmhouse. C17, possibly earlier, thoroughly refurbished in 1877. Front of
exposed local stone rubble with brick arches over windows, end and rear walls of
partly plastered cob and rubble; stone rubble stacks with C19 and C20 brick chimney
shafts; slate roof.
The original 3-room-and-through-passage plan is still recognizable. House faces
south with former inner room at right (east) end and lower end parlour at left
(west) end. Passage enlarged in 1877 to include stair. Former inner room and
parlour have end stacks, the latter projecting, and hall has axial stack backing
onto former passage. C19 outshots across entire rear including a kitchen at left
(west) end with rear stack. 2 storeys.
1877 front. Irregular 5-window front of similar 3 and 4 light casements with
glazing bars. All windows have brick segmental arches over. Front door towards
left end has rubble porch with gabled roof which includes bands of scallop-shaped
slates. Outer arch has plain brick 2-centred arch and above is a Portland stone
plaque which includes the Portsmouth crest in bas relief with the date 1877. Roof
is gable-ended to left and hipped to right. The right end and rear walls show C19
blockings of earlier window embrasures.
Interior was thoroughly refurbished in 1877 but layout suggests that early features
may survive behind C19 plaster. For instance all fireplaces are blocked by C19
grates. Hall has mid C17 crossbeam, the soffit is ovolo-moulded with lozenge step
stops enriched with chiselled motifs. The lower end parlour (part of which is now
in entrance hall) has 2 mid C17 crossbeams, both with double ovolo soffit mouldings
with large bar-runout stops. Roof not accessible but external walls suggest roof
raised in 1877.
From left end of front C19 low rubble wall with granite coping extreme southwards
soon ramping up to high cob wall with thatch coping and including a bee bole. It
lines left (west) side of front garden.
Listing NGR: SS7129212749
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings