This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8158 / 50°48'56"N
Longitude: -3.4843 / 3°29'3"W
OS Eastings: 295529
OS Northings: 102856
OS Grid: SS955028
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.XT9W
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LY.2DZ
Entry Name: British Legion Hall
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95443
Location: Silverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX5
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Silverton
Built-Up Area: Silverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Silverton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SILVERTON NEWCOURT ROAD (west side)
SS 90 SE
7/258 British Legion Hall
British Legion hall, formerly a charity school. 1734, but much altered and enlarged.
Random rubble volcanic trap. Hipped, half-hipped and gabled end roofs. 2 single
storeyed schoolroom blocks.
Front: (to Newcourt Road): left hand block, with two 2-light casement windows to
first floor, blocked door below. The joint between this block and the gable end of
the other now occupied by a brick chimney. Gable end of older block with 4-light
window with transom set below a plaque recording the date of the foundation of the
charity school by John Richards. Exeter Road front, with 2-windows of 4-lights with
transom, and 1 of 2 under a damaged hood mould. The 4-light windows occupy very
shallow recesses. Axial bellcote, lacking bell. Later accretions to rear. Included
for group value, the school is built on an important central position in the village.
Listing NGR: SS9552902856
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings