This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8161 / 50°48'58"N
Longitude: -3.4841 / 3°29'2"W
OS Eastings: 295548
OS Northings: 102891
OS Grid: SS955028
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.XTDB
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LY.2H0
Entry Name: The Old Church House
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95418
Location: Silverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX5
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Silverton
Built-Up Area: Silverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Silverton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SILVERTON FORE STREET (west side),
SS 90 SE
7/232 No.1 (The Old Church House)
House and shop, reputedly once the Church House. Late C16 with later alterations.
Mostly cob, with some rubble, stone footings all roughcast, gable-end thatched roof
forming a catslide of continuous rear outshut, the rear outbuildings, fronting
Tiverton Road, mostly of the same materials, with some brick and breezeblock
patching. Probably formerly a 3-room, through-passage plan house, with hall and
parlour to the right of the now blocked passage, and an extension (added soon after
the main building phase) to the upper end (circa 1600); lower end also rebuilt
perhaps in early C19. 2 axial stacks with brick shafts, that to the left heating
hall and backing onto former passage, that to the right heating parlour and probably
originally an end stack. 2-storeys.
Front: Irregular fenestration; six 2- and 3-light windows with C19 and C20 casements
to first floor, lintels at eaves level, with (to the right) an oriel window,
supported on shaped brackets, 1:4:1 lights, with ovolo-moulded mullions and surround,
5 or 10 leaded panes per light, with 1 original catch. 3- and 4-light casement
windows to ground floor, that to the left possibly occupying position of former
passage, with C20 shop window to the right of the present entrance.
Rear: with two 2-light chamfered window frames, 1 with stanchions and 1 not in-situ,
both to first floor. C19 outbuildings.
Interior: right-hand room in circa 1600 extension with 2 axial beams, chamfered, 1
with pyramid stops; hall and parlour, now a single room, with deeply chamfered cross
beams, with pyramid stops; left-hand room at lower end with 2 chamfered step-stopped
beams. 4 jointed crucks, 3 to hall and parlour, 1 to the right hand room, apexes
morticed and pegged, paired, trenched purlins, collars replaced; no evidence of
smoke-blackening. The right hand chamber (with the oriel) retains its plaster
ceiling, a single pattern, single-ribbed, central square with concave sides with
lateral units each containing rampant lion; central floral design, with floral motifs
at outer points.
Reference: the house is discussed by Copeland in Trans. Devonshire Association, 93
Listing NGR: SS9554802891
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings