This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9951 / 50°59'42"N
Longitude: -3.6715 / 3°40'17"W
OS Eastings: 282795
OS Northings: 123076
OS Grid: SS827230
Mapcode National: GBR L8.KMNZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 366H.1GS
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97375
Location: Knowstone, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Knowstone
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Knowstone St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 82 SW
3/24 Church of St Peter
Parish Church. The south doorway is said to be Norman, but the surviving fabric
appears principally C15, the north aisle possibly early C16. The north aisle arcade
was probably rebuilt and the church refenestrated in the C19. Random stone rubble,
the west tower and north aisle rendered. Slate roofs with gable ends.
Plan: west tower, nave, north aisle, chancel and south porch.
Exterior: west tower of 2 stages witn diagonal buttresses, polygonal north-east
stair-turret and embattled parapet. C19 2-light bell openings to each face.
Perpendicular style west window of 3 lights and blocked pointed arched moulded west
doorway. C19 3-light window to right of south porch with gabled slate roof with
crested ridge tiles and shaped bargeboards. Unmoulded outer stone doorway and semi-
circular arched dressed stone inner doorway with moulded imposts. Old studded plank
door. C15 unceiled wagon-roof with moulded longitudinal members. Slate capped
shallow rood stair projection to right. Chancel has Perpendicular straight-headed
window of three 4-centred arched lights, and flat 4-centred arched priests doorway
on south side. C19 Perpendicular style 3-light pointed arched windows to east end
of chancel and north aisle, with lead rainwater head between dated 1750 and
inscribed 'St Peters'. North aisle nas 4 C19 straight-headed windows of 3 lights
with intermediate buttresses.
Interior: continuous north arcade of 4 bays with semi-circular arches and square
piers, described as 'modern' in early C19. Plastered barrel roof to nave and
chancel, ceiled wagon-roof to south aisle with decorative carved bosses at the
intersections. Tall tower arch with double ogee and hollow moulded surround. C18
communion rails formerly with alternating barley sugar and straight turned
balusters, but some have been removed. C19 pulpit incorporates one open traceried
panel of former screen. 2 windows, to south side of nave and to north aisle with
stained glass by Drake. East window 1854. C19 tiled floors, raised and fielded
panelled benches, and font. Painted Royal Arms dated 1724, P. Hynam, Warden, in
north aisle. Several reset tone slabs, late C16 to early C18 at east end of north
aisle. Wall monument, chancel south side, to John Culme (d. 1791) with figures
resting on broken pediment, central achievement, Ionic colonettes and skull to base.
Small wall tablet to Philip Shapcote (d. 1690), on north side, wall monument to
Froude family, including Revd. John Froude (d. 1852).
Listing NGR: SS8279523076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings