This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9415 / 50°56'29"N
Longitude: -3.9276 / 3°55'39"W
OS Eastings: 264667
OS Northings: 117548
OS Grid: SS646175
Mapcode National: GBR KX.NWB8
Mapcode Global: FRA 26NM.9PF
Entry Name: Winswood Cottages
Listing Date: 8 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106765
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97167
Location: Burrington, North Devon, Devon, EX37
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Burrington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Burrington Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BURRINGTON POOL LANE
SS 61 NW
5/39 Nos 1-3 Winswood Cottages
Former farmhouse, now 3 cottages. Probably C17, the 1733 date plaque possibly
referring to the addition of the 2-storey porch and extension at the left end. C19
and C20 alterations. Rendered stone rubble and cob. Corrugated asbestos roof,
hipped at left end. Axial brick stack and brick shaft to stone rubble stack at
right gable end.
Essentially and unusually a 3-room and lobby entry plan, with axial stack heating
both rooms at left, higher end and hall to right. Inner room at lower level to
right end apparently always the kitchen and service end. 2-storey porch and added
bay of 1-room plan at left end, probably both additions of 1733. Projecting stair
turret at rear of hall. The farmhouse appears to have been converted to cottages in
the early C20, with staircases added to left end principal room and service end at
right end. Hall partitioned at right end to form passage.
2 storeys. 5-window range in all; including 2-storey porch. All C20
fenestration. 2-light casements with 3-light window to porch, except at right end
which has C17 4-light mullion window, the mullions deeply chamfered, with 2 paned
lights. 2 tiers of 5 pigeon holes at right end. 1733 datestone to porch replaced
in 1986, formerly with initials W.T. Ground floor has C20 2-light and 3-light
casement to left of porch. Inner porch doorway has partially cased-in C17 straight-
headed chamfered door surround. 4-light C20 casement to right of porch, then 2
plank doors, that to right with lean-to porch, and 3-light C20 casement at right
end. Leanto at right gable end.
Interior. Cottage (No. 3) at lower end has 2 cross ceiling beams, plastered over.
Cambered arched brick lintel to fireplace with cloam bread oven stamped FISHLEY.
Hall has no exposed ceiling beams; original fireplace probably concealed.
Principal room at left end has wide chamfered axial ceiling beam and chamfered
fireplace lintel. C19 joinery principally intact throughout. No access to
roofspace but C17/C18 roof trusses with straight principals apparently intact.
Listing NGR: SS6466717548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings