This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1874 / 51°11'14"N
Longitude: -3.9062 / 3°54'22"W
OS Eastings: 266877
OS Northings: 144861
OS Grid: SS668448
Mapcode National: GBR KY.5G83
Mapcode Global: VH4MG.7FS2
Entry Name: Flats 1-3, Peel House peel House
Listing Date: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97112
Location: Parracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Parracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Parracombe Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SE
6/134 Flats 1-3, Peel House
Former police house and station, now converted to three flats. Built 1895 for Devon
Constabulary. Unrendered snecked stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof
with coped gable ends with moulded kneelers, cornice and ridge tiles. 2 large brick
ridge stacks with oversailing brick courses to the cappings.
Symmetrical 2-room and central passage plan with single storey range of 1 room plan
extending to right and single storey L-shaped range to rear left side. Some internal
alterations when converted to flats in C20, but basic plan unaffected.
2 storeys with attic storey. Symmetrical 3-bay front, the central bay breaking
forward as gabled 2 storey porch, with gabled dormers breaking through the cornice to
each side. Original fenestration intact, all 3 light chamfered stone mullions, 10
panes per light. Ground floor windows have chambered relieving arches. Double
chamfered 2-centred arched porch doorway with hoodmould and plaque over inscribed
18 DEVON 95
Single storey range to right has chamfered 2-centred arched doorway.
Peel House is imposingly situated, adjoining the churchyard and overlooking the
village of Parracombe. Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SS6687744861
Other nearby listed buildings