This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1867 / 51°11'12"N
Longitude: -4.062 / 4°3'43"W
OS Eastings: 255990
OS Northings: 145077
OS Grid: SS559450
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.5JST
Mapcode Global: VH4MC.JFYL
Entry Name: Bowden Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 March 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96999
Location: Berrynarbor, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Berrynarbor
Built-Up Area: Berrynarbor
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Berrynarbor St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 54 NE
1/24 Bowden Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C16 or early C17, much altered in C20. Rendered stone rubble.
Slate roof with small rendered stacks at each end and rear lateral brick hall stack
enclosed in dairy outshut.
Roughly symmetrical 2-room and through-passage plan with the hall to left heated by
the central rear stack, later divided into 2 rooms by brick partition. Straight
staircase offset to right of through-passage. To the rear of the right-hand room is
a right-angled rear service wing, probably an C18 or early C19 addition, creating
an overall L-shaped plan.
2 storeys. 5-window range. C20 fenestration except for a 2-light. casement, 8 panes
per light and a 3-light casement, 3 panes per light to ground floor to right of
gabled porch with slate roof. 2 buttresses at right end.
Interior: much altered in C20 including the removal of a very fine plank and muntin
screen with fluted panelling between the hall and through-passage, probably of late
C16 date. The hall has chamfered cross-beams and bressumer with pyramid stops. The
roof trusses entirely replaced in C19 or early C20.
Despite the C20 alterations and unfortunate removal of the screen, the house is
listed also for its historical associations as the birthplace of Bishop Jewel (1522-
71), Bishop of Salisbury and author of the Apologia (1562). The screen is currently
being repaired (January 1986) and there are plans to re-install it in Berrybarbor
Manor Hall (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SS5599045077
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings