This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1007 / 51°6'2"N
Longitude: -4.1643 / 4°9'51"W
OS Eastings: 248557
OS Northings: 135718
OS Grid: SS485357
Mapcode National: GBR KL.BWC7
Mapcode Global: VH3Q7.RLVK
Entry Name: Velator Bridge
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107101
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98362
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 43 NE BRAUNTON VELATOR
7/64 Velator Bridge
Road bridge over River Caen. Probably circa 1815 and probably by James Green, the
County Surveyor. Shale rubble. Single span wide segmental arch with dressed shale
voussoirs. Parapets have vertically coursed shale capping.
Velator Bridge was probably built in association with the reclamation of Braunton
Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the
River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after
authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords
of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and
others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh
which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe
was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent
Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857.
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where
the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems
to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great
Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the
Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference : A H Slee Trans.Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4855735718
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings