History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ash Barton

A Grade II* Listed Building in Braunton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1158 / 51°6'57"N

Longitude: -4.1284 / 4°7'42"W

OS Eastings: 251125

OS Northings: 137326

OS Grid: SS511373

Mapcode National: GBR KM.9ZZV

Mapcode Global: VH4MQ.D6CY

Entry Name: Ash Barton

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98269

Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Braunton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Wrafton

Listing Text

SS 53 NW BRAUNTON

8/12 Ash Barton
-
25.2.65

GV II*

Large farmhouse, formerly manor house, principally C17 (datestone 1665) but large
courtyard outbuilding incorporates earlier, possibly C15 work. Courtyard plan with
main range forming crosswing of intended larger house of L-shaped plan. Adjoining
parallel to, but offset to rear of) 2-storey Cl7 main range probably is smaller
building also Cl7, with hipped slate roof probably kitchen range with access to
cellars under main house. Large probably late C18 or early C19 2-storey right-
angled extension projects east forming south block of courtyard. On north side a
cob and rubble shelter shed joins the kitchen block to large outbuilding on west
side of courtyard which is undergoing extensive alterations (1984) but may have been
the original dwelling.
South-facing gable end of main range and adjoining porch is of dressed stone, west
facade mainly of random rubble, with dressed stone surrounds to the openings. Main
range has slate roof with post-medieval hand made clay ridge tiles with dressed
stone coped gable ends. 2 large rooms to front with internal partition altered for
insertion of central staircase. Continuous passage to rear with original staircase
at north end and entrance porch to south. Stack at left gable end in ashlar with
moulded cap. Stone gablet at apex of right gable end. Off-set stack in ashlar with
crenellated cap backing onto rear passage heats room to south. West facade
originally had 2 impressive large window openings symmetrically placed with
segmental relieving arches on each floor but are now all differently blocked. Top
left with dressed stone infill alongside a window of two pairs of 8 pane horizontal
sliding sashes. Top right opening is partially slate-hung in blocking-up above a 4-
light casement with 3 panes each and timber lintel. Bottom left retains stone
window surround now infilled with rubble and 3-light timber window inserted, 8 panes
per sash. Bottom right is blind. The upper floor windows flank an inserted
horizontal timber sliding sash window 8 panes each. C17 doorway with chamfered
stone jambs and hoodmould and labels below relieving arch. C20 panelled door now
partly glazed. 2 relieving arches to cellar. Small slated lean-to roof towards
left end. Left gable end has 2-light stone splayed mullion window. Inserted fixed
windows with glazing bars to each light and relieving arch and dripstone with
labels. Right gable end has large blocked square window with 1665 datestone above,
over a 4-light casement on each floor with relieving arches and dripstones. The
upper floor has 8 panes each light, the lower is transomed with 9 panes over 12
panes in each light. Ashlar porch with gable-ended slate roof to right with pointed
arch rebuilt in brick surmounted by small heraldic shield. Single quatrefoil panel
to each side and 3 small stone insets on each internal side with heraldic designs.
Half-glazed door with large overlight. Main range has large bolection-moulded
plaster panelling to the two main rooms; that on rear wall of north side has been
pushed forward and reset on inserted partition wall when room was divided to make
rear kitchen. Fine C17 dog-leg staircase complete with treads, moulded string and
hand rails. Heavy turned newel posts with large acorn finials and turned balusters
to each flight. 2 ancient doorways at foot of stairs, that to principal room has
ovolo surround with foliated stops (q.v. Bittadon Barton), and original plank door
with thick cover strips. Doorway under stairs has ovolo surround with ogee stops
and original plank door of 2 leaves divided horizontally with cover strips and
square-headed nails. 2 first floor doorways also with ovolo and stopped surround.
The long low extension to right of south gable end of main range has cambered,
arched window range of three 2-light casements (6 panes each) over 3 transomed 3-
light windows with 9 over 3 panes each light. The right end windows are offset.
The kitchen block to rear formerly 3 storeys. North gable end has 4-light blocked
mullion window with stone lintel over taller 4-light mullion, also blocked, with
relieving arch and hoodmould with returned ends. Brick lined fireplace on west wall
with large stone jambs. Massive roughly chamfered beam. Rubble and cob shelter
shed adjoins at right angles with 3 round rubble piers supporting lean-to slated
roof. The early adjoining building on west side of courtyard has had roof timbers
replaced, slate roof added, internal floors removed and north gable end partially
weatherboarded during alterations in 1980s. Rubble construction with dressed stone
long and short work at the lower corners but better quality coursed and dressed
stone construction at upper end, where early features are concentrated suggests
substantial rebuilding at lower end. 2½ storeys west side has partially blocked
opening over plank door. On both sides towards lower end openings on each floor
with truncated openings above at wall height. At south gable end opening on each
floor above door. External stone steps at north gable end to first floor entrance,
left jamb infilled with rubble. 3-light cavetto mullion window above earlier 2-
light cavetto-mullion window with four-centred arches, early ferrimenta and
weathered hoodmould. Some brick infills. East side upper end has 2-light attic
timber window with grill bars inserted in former larger opening. Below this
internal evidence of first floor fireplace with dressed stone jambs.

Listing NGR: SS5112537326

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.