This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0901 / 51°5'24"N
Longitude: -4.1795 / 4°10'46"W
OS Eastings: 247458
OS Northings: 134567
OS Grid: SS474345
Mapcode National: GBR KK.CR04
Mapcode Global: FRA 2647.MJS
Entry Name: Cattle Shelter and Adjoining Wall 480 Metres North-West of the Great Sluice
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98296
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015
Cattle Shelter and adjoining wall 480 metres north-west of The Great Sluice
(Formerly listed as Cattle Shelter and adjoining wall 48 metres north-west of The Great Sluice)
Small cattle shelter and adjoining shelter wall. Circa 1815-20. Shale rubble with low pitched corrugated iron roof with gabled ends and with cemented file capping to gable. Open fronted 2 bays with rectangular stone rubble pier supporting roof. Stone rubble shelter wall attached to south east corner extends around front area with curved corner.
This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and probably a fodder store for cattle on the marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857.
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference: A H Slee Trans. Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-l10.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4745834567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings