History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Victoria Infirmary Administration Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9788 / 54°58'43"N

Longitude: -1.6195 / 1°37'10"W

OS Eastings: 424452

OS Northings: 564979

OS Grid: NZ244649

Mapcode National: GBR SND.JS

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.332Z

Entry Name: Royal Victoria Infirmary Administration Block

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304805

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newcastle upon Tyne

Listing Text

NZ 2464 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE QUEEN VICTORIA ROAD
(north side)
15/473 Royal Victoria Infirmary
Administration Block
G.V. II
Hospital offices. Foundation stone 1900 by Prince of Wales; building 1901-1906. By
W. L. Newcombe and Percy Adams, after consultation with-Sir A. Waterhouse.
Sandstone ashlar ground floor, central pavilion, and central sections of end
pavilions; remainder bright red brick with ashlar dressings. Roof of graduated
Lakeland slate. 3 storeys and attics; 17 bays in all, with 3-bay centre and end
pavilions. Central porte-cochere. Pilasters to pavilions with central top pediments,
segmental over entrance bay. End pavilions have ground-floor central canted bay
windows. All windows stone mullioned and transomed with leaded lights. 3 flat-
headed dormers to each outer section; central attic in stone surround continuous
with linking coped parapet. High roof, hipped over pavilions, with central lantern
and high ashlar-corniced brick chimneys. Interior shows groined inner porch with
4 bronze commemorative plaques, recording gifts from Lord and Lady Armstrong and
others;. Entrance hall and gallery panelled with inlay, in Baroque style; much
flower decoration in stucco frieze and ceiling.


Listing NGR: NZ2445264979

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.