This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.969 / 54°58'8"N
Longitude: -1.6054 / 1°36'19"W
OS Eastings: 425362
OS Northings: 563887
OS Grid: NZ253638
Mapcode National: GBR SQF.X6
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.9CSK
Entry Name: Mercantile Building
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304790
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Ouseburn
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE QUAY SIDE
24/368 Nos. 15-23 (Mercantile
Offices. 1883 by J. C. Parsons for Thomas Harper. Sandstone ashlar; roof of
Welsh slate. 3 storeys and attics, 7 bays. 3 internal steps up to central double
door in architrave; right end entrance to yard behind has round arch with voussoirs
and keystone. Architraves to all windows, sashes paired except in end and centre
bays. Deep cyma moulding to plinth between pilasters to ground floor sill band.
Upper floors have sill strings. Each floor has entablature, with frieze pulvinated
above windows, door and yard arch. Wreath carving on frieze above paired windows,
which have pediments to each pair, segmental on first floor, (except top floor
which has dentilled cornice breaking forward over windows, and small segmental
pediments). High panelled and coped roof parapet with end urn finials; 2 paired
dormers in entablature under carved pediments with cartouches.
Listing NGR: NZ2536263887
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings