History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sprivers and Wall Attached

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horsmonden, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.134 / 51°8'2"N

Longitude: 0.419 / 0°25'8"E

OS Eastings: 569340

OS Northings: 139968

OS Grid: TQ693399

Mapcode National: GBR NR9.YHV

Mapcode Global: VHJMY.6RVL

Entry Name: Sprivers and Wall Attached

Listing Date: 20 October 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107213

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169898

Location: Horsmonden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Horsmonden

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Horsmonden St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Brenchley

Listing Text

HORSMONDEN LAMBERHURST ROAD
TQ 63 NE
(west side)
3/62 Sprivers
and wall attached
20-10-54
GV II*

House. C15, extended C16 and altered and extended 1756 for Alexander Courthope.
Timber framed core clad with red brick and tile hung to rear and extended with red
brick. Plain tiled roofs. Older wing of hall house origin. Main block of 2 storeys
and attic on plinth with moulded brick plat band and eaves cornice to hipped roof
with stacks to rear left and right and with 3 pedimented dormers, that to centre
with segmental pediment. Regular fenestration of 5 glazing bar sashes on first floor
and 4 on ground floor with central doubled doors of 4 raised and fielded panels
with lion head door knockers in panelled surround with keyed architrave and
pediment on Doric pilasters and with flight of 3 steps. Left return with glazing bar
sash on first floor and C19 canted bay on ground floor. Right return wing of 2
storeys and attic at lower level with identical moulded details as front block, 6
pedimented dormers and with semi-circular headed glazing bar sash stair window
with keyed surround, the imposts and keystone inscribed:

AC
17 56

with the fleur-de-lys emblem of the Courthopes. The rear wing, incorporating the
original timber framed building, clad at same time as front wing with red brick on
both floors to front elevation, tile hung on first floor to rear elevation, with
moulded plinth and plat bands, half hipped roof, half hipped dormers and stacks
ranged left to right. Irregular wooden casements on both elevations and boarded and
panelled doors irregularly placed. Attached and extending from south end of rear
wing a red brick wall, in part in English bond, about 7 feet in height with
buttresses and coping and gateway openings. Interior: rear wing with full frame
visible with arched braces and close studded walls, extended C16 with queen strut
roofed block, this section with chamfered and stopped cross beamed ceilings on
nassive posts and with strapwork enriched Bethersden marble fireplaces on both
floors; imported C17 wainscotting in upper room. C18 interiors include small
entrance hall with very good quality rococo plaster cartouches with the Arms and
badges of the Courthope and Lloyd families and with enriched modillion cornice to
ceiling. All the principal rooms and corridors on both floors have similar cornices
and also dado rails with simple fielded and beaded panelling, the left hand drawing
room with egg and tongue surrounds to panelling. Moulded and lugged wooden
fireplaces with rocaille scrolled friezes (the scrolls emanating from eagle heads).
Stair hall with dog leg stair and half landing with ramped and moulded handrail
with renewed " Chinese Chippendale " balustrade, dado and bead moulded panelling and
with grooved and gadrooned cornice to coved ceiling with guilloched surround.
Segmentally headed corridor openings and panelled doors with original door
furniture throughout. Secondary stairs with original chinoiserie balustrade and
ramped and moulded hand rail to upper flight and newel stair to attic with tenoned
purlin roof. Kitchen semi-basment with very large fireplace with moulded cornice
mantelpiece, fitted cupboards and ramped and moulded rail to stair. A manorial site
passing from the Sprivers family to the Bathursts and by 1704 to the Courthope
family (see Hasted,vol.V, 316-317).


Listing NGR: TQ6934039968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.