This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9845 / 50°59'4"N
Longitude: -3.7909 / 3°47'27"W
OS Eastings: 274388
OS Northings: 122088
OS Grid: SS743220
Mapcode National: GBR L3.L7GQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 26YH.WFR
Entry Name: The Church Room Including Letterbox in South Wall
Listing Date: 18 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107244
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97619
Location: Mariansleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Mariansleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Mariansleigh St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SW
The Church Room including letterbox in south wall
Schoolhouse, now in use as the parish hall. Probably 1840s, built before 1850,
(Whites Devon (1850)), converted to a Sunday School by 1839 (White's Devon (1879).
Colourwashed and rendered, probably cob on stone rubble footings; corrugated asbestos
roof, (formerly thatched), gabled at ends; left end stack with brick shaft. Gothick
style in vernacular materials.
Plan: Extremely small, rectangular on plan with the entrance on the south side. A
lean-to at the left (west) end formerly housed the village pump.
Exterior: Single-storey. The south elevation has one Gothick window to the left
with a 2-centred arch, Gothick glazing bars and some panels of circa mid C19
ecclesiastical stained glass, possibly originating in the parish church which was
severely damaged by fire in 1932. To the right there is a C20 plank door with a
Gothick fanlight with curved glazing bars. A Victorian letter box is in the wall to
the left of the door: this was the subject of a letter to the Times in the 1930s
when the Reverend W.V. Tatham complained that it was too small to accommodate the
village post (Tull).
Interior: Not inspected.
The school was probably converted to a Sunday School in 1876 when a large school was
built at Oxham following the compulsory Education Act.
An unusual survival of a very small schoolroom pre-dating the 1870 Education Act.
Listing NGR: SS7440622085
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings