This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0017 / 51°0'6"N
Longitude: -3.7699 / 3°46'11"W
OS Eastings: 275906
OS Northings: 123969
OS Grid: SS759239
Mapcode National: GBR L4.K0S2
Mapcode Global: FRA 26ZG.K4B
Entry Name: The Rectory
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Last Amended: 18 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97578
Location: Bishop's Nympton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Bishop's Nympton
Built-Up Area: Bishop's Nympton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Nympton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SE BISHOP'S NYMPTON
6/48 The Rectory (formerly listed
as The Vicarage)
Rectory, formerly the vicarage. 1836 by J. Cock of South Molton (D.R.O.) for Joseph
Thorne, incumbent, 1835-71. Stone rubble, colourwashed and plastered to the
principal elevations, roughcast to the rear; 2-span slate roof, hipped at ends; 2
stacks to the left end, internal front and rear lateral stacks to the right hand
rooms, all with rendered shafts and moulded cornices.
Plan: Original plan preserved. Double-depth west-facing main block, the south
elevation overlooking the garden, with a service wing adjoining at the north.
Central entrance into a deep entrance hall: study to the left with the stair rising
behind it; dining room to the right, rear right drawing room, rear left kitchen, rear
centre store room or gun room. The north wing contains a back kitchen with a stack
back to back with the kitchen stack; a game larder; pantry and service stair.
Exterior: Remarkably intact. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front (west) elevation,
all the features original, with deep eaves on shaped, paired eaves brackets. Left
and right pilasters with incised Greek ornament. Steps up to a 7-bay paved cast iron
verandah, with a hipped slate roof on decorated cast iron uprights with decorated
cast iron segmental arches, the central arch wider and the verandah returning to the
south and extending across the south elevation. Original C19 front door, the upper
panels replaced with glass, with narrow half-glazed panels to left and right and a
narrow entablature with a Greek key ornament on 4 fluted timber colonnettes.
Original 1836 painted glass is preserved in the elliptically arched fanlight with
decorative glazing bars. Blind recesses in the right hand bay, where there is an
internal lateral stack, match the left hand windows : a transomed French window with
margin glazing to left, 2 C19 12-pane hornelss sashes to first floor left and centre
with eared architraves.
The south elevation, overlooking the garden, is similar, but of 4 bays with an 8-bay
verandah. 4 original French windows, 4 first floor hornless sashes and a central
pilaster in addition to the outer pilasters. The rear (east) elevation also
preserves its original sash windows with a smaller, possibly C20 window on the ground
floor. The service block, adjoining the north elevation, has a date plaque of 1836
with the initials J.T. for Joseph Thorne. The fenestration, including the pantry and
game larder windows, is original except for 2 C20 first floor timber casements.
Interior: Very complete. The joinery includes original doors, doorcases, shutters,
skirting boards and a stick baluster dog-leg stair with a ramped wreathed handrail.
Original marble chimney-pieces survive in the principal rooms except the study, with
more modest ones on the first floor. Original plaster cornices are also preserved,
including one combined with a ceiling frieze in the drawing room.
A remarkably complete C19 rectory, still owned by the Church of England and
preserving its original garden and vegetable garden walls and stables (q.v.), a rare
Listing NGR: SS7590623969
Other nearby listed buildings