History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Meshaw, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9632 / 50°57'47"N

Longitude: -3.7691 / 3°46'8"W

OS Eastings: 275860

OS Northings: 119685

OS Grid: SS758196

Mapcode National: GBR L4.MLYT

Mapcode Global: FRA 26ZK.RF7

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107301

English Heritage Legacy ID: 97445

Location: Meshaw, North Devon, Devon, EX36

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Meshaw

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Meshaw St John

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Meshaw

Listing Text

MESHAW MESHAW
SS 71 NE
4/40 Church of St. John the Baptist
20.2.67
- II
Parish church. Medieval foundation, tower rebuilt 1691 in memory of James
Courtenay, nave-cum-chancel in one, rebuilt 1838, vestry added mid C19, new
sanctuary and a porch added in 1879. Coursed local stone rubble, snecked rubble to
porch and sanctuary, freestone dressings, slate roofs to coped verges, lead ridges,
cruciform finials.
Plan: nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry, plain and simple low tower, austere
Commissioners Early English style with High Victorian Gothic Early English porch and
chancel.
Exterior: 2 stage west tower with small diagonal buttresses to the bottom stage,
embattled capping which appears rebuilt, weathercock on a tall wood pole, small
simple rectangular bell-chamber openings with louvres, C14 style west window
inserted probably in 1879; above an incised stone plaque commemorating the
rebuilding. Buttressed 4-bay continuous nave-and-chancel, lancets with simple Y-
tracery, except 2 at the east end with the tracery removed. Sanctuary of lower
height with a triple-lancet, east window. Porch in conforming style to south with
pointed-arch inner and outer door openings. Small north vestry.
Interior: plain plastered interior on slate floors. Nave with depressed 4-centred
arch shaped plaster ceiling; braced truss on carved corbels marking the division
with the chancel, panelled ceiling to sanctuary with thin ribs. Octagonal style
Perpendicular type font which may be recut from an original. Victorian High Gothic
pulpit of 1879; High Gothic sanctuary with contemporary altar rails, encaustic tile
pavement, altar table, reredos with decalogue plaques and 3-light stained glass east
window. Pews, choir stalls and organ replaced in 1904. Large wood lecturn carved
as an eagle, probably Victorian but may be earlier. Good monument to James
Courtenay of 1658, coloured and gilded, flanking Corinithian columns support a
pediment capped by achievements. Three early C20 wall monuments. Small painted
Royal Arms of 1838. 3 stained glass windows of 1854, 1861, and 1879. Encaustic
tile pavement under tower.


Listing NGR: SS7586019685

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.