This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9206 / 50°55'14"N
Longitude: -3.7411 / 3°44'28"W
OS Eastings: 277714
OS Northings: 114901
OS Grid: SS777149
Mapcode National: GBR L5.Q82V
Mapcode Global: FRA 361N.Y26
Entry Name: Sharon Methodist Chapel at Thornham Chapel Cross
Listing Date: 3 October 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97411
Location: East Worlington, North Devon, Devon, EX17
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: East Worlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Worlington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 71 SE
8/6 Sharon Methodist Chapel at
3.10.75 Chapel Cross
Methodist chapel and adjoining schoolroom. Built 1849, 1908 addition. Random rubble
to early part, bitumen-treated to the west gable face, later part of coursed rubble
blocks of irregular size, brick dressings at the corners, gabled slate roofs with
crested clay ridges, brick stack to the east, cast-iron gutters and downpipes;
weatherboarded timber-framed shed attached to the west, painted corrugated-iron
Plan: the chapel to the left is rectangular on plan with a blocked central entrance
on the front. In 1908 a schoolroom was added set back on the right hand end with a
front doorway to the left of the front. Set back again to the right an outshut with
a leanto in the angle at the front. In the C20 a weatherboarded shed was added to
the left side of the chapel. The chapel and schoolroom are in late Gothick style.
Exterior: main elevation facing onto the roadside of a single-storey, 2-window
chapel, single bay schoolroom set at back to right, multi-paned casements in
pointed-arch openings, brick dressings, renewed concrete cills, head of each window
with intersecting Gothick glazing. Door opening to centre between the 2 halves.
brick dressings, plank door in wooden frame with painted graining. Outshut to right
with a 3-light casement with horizontal glazing bars, 2 door openings with plank
Interior: was refitted in the mid C19, including pews, pulpit, dado panelling, a
chimneypiece to the schoolroom and further joinery.
Attached run of wrought-iron railings to frontage encloses small graveyard, simple
style with hooped tops. 2 gateways with iron finials in conforming style.
In an isolated though prominant roadwide position.
Source: C Stell, RCHM unpublished, Non-Conformist Chapels.
Listing NGR: SS7771414901
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings