This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5109 / 50°30'39"N
Longitude: -3.8266 / 3°49'35"W
OS Eastings: 270580
OS Northings: 69489
OS Grid: SX705694
Mapcode National: GBR QD.H6Q6
Mapcode Global: FRA 27WQ.11L
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99289
Location: Holne, South Hams, Devon, TQ13
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Holne
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Holne St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 76 NW
4/21 Church of St Mary the
Parish church. Circa 1300 with west tower and transepts, enlarged in circa 1500 by
addition of aisles. Restored late C19. Granite rubble partly rendered. Concrete
tile roofs. Nave and north and south aisles under one roof. Aisles have C19 2 and
3-light lancets. Chancel with C19 3-light east window with reticulated tracery
chapels north and south of chapel. Reused small C13 moulded doorway in vestry.
North and south transepts with 4-light perpendicular north and south windows, the
north window has restored tracery and the north transept has a 3-light lancets on
east side. South porch with 2-centred moulded arch waggon roof with carved bosses
and 2-central arch moulded inner south doorway. Circa 1300 tall west tower in
2 stages with batter and embattled parapet. 2-light laned bell-openings, loops to
internal stairs on north side and plain chamfered 2-centred arch west doorway.
Interior: Circa 1500 five bay north and south arcades, the east bays to the chapels
are smaller. Low monolithic octagonal granite piers with unmoulded capitals and
double-chamfered 4-central arches. Waggon roofs those to nave and south transept
unceiled. The aisle and north trancept waggon roofs have moulded ribs and carved
bosses. The chancel has C19 waggon roof with carved bosses. The north trancept has
moulded wooden cambered arch to north chapel, now an organ chamber which contains
doorway to roof stairs. Tall plain undressed 2-centred tower arch with imposts.
Good circa 1500 wooden screens in 3 sections across nave and aisles with perpen-
dicular tracery, rich carving and retaining colout including painted figures in
wainscot panels. The screen coving is missing. Fine circa 1500 10-sided carved
wooden pulpit on goblet stem, also retaining colour. Cusped 2-centred arch piscina
in south wall of chancel. Late C19 choir stalls and stone reredos. The seating of
1909, C19 and C20 granite font. Wall monument in south transept to Sir Bourchier
Wrey, 1826, of Holne Park.
Listing NGR: SX7057869486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings