This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4253 / 50°25'31"N
Longitude: -3.8613 / 3°51'40"W
OS Eastings: 267884
OS Northings: 60041
OS Grid: SX678600
Mapcode National: GBR QB.8PTP
Mapcode Global: FRA 27SX.ZF0
Entry Name: Bullhornstone Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107397
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99333
Location: South Brent, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: South Brent
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Brent St Petroc
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SOUTH BRENT -
SX 66 SE
Farmhouse. Dated 1769, extended in C19. Granite rubble rendered at rear.
Dry slate roof gabled at right hand higher end and hipped at lower left hand
end. Three room plan with wide passage/stair hall between hall and lower room.
Lateral stacks at rear of hall, smaller rear lateral stack to lower room, and
another at higher gable end. Dairy wing containing second stairs added to rear
of higher end and a lean-to outshut in the angle. The higher end room is possibly
an addition or rebulding, for there is a straight joint in the masonry of the
front wall, and it has its own direct entry of the front and a loft door in
the higher gable end. However, the internal partition between higher end room
and hall is of plastered stud construction and not of solid masonry to be expected
of an external wall. Two storeys. Regular four window range, all with flat
dressed stone arches and C20 three-light casements. Glazed and panelled door
to left of centre with C19 gabled stone rubble porch. Datestone beneath eaves
of centre inscribed 'W' over '1769'. Right hand doorway with C20 door. Rear
has large projecting lateral hall stack of centre with set-offs. Right hand
(lower room) internal lateral stack. Dairy wing to left (higher end) with half-
hipped slate roof and lean-to outshut in the angle, overlapping the hall stack.
Higher gable end of main range to north east has loft doorway. interior: Wide
passage hall with original framed dog-leg stairs at rear with moulded string
and handrail, turned balusters and square newels and with terminal column newel.
Some C18 fielded two-panel doors survive. Lower room has alcoves on either
side of blocked fireplace with panelled and fluted pilasters, kegblock in round
arch, and cupboards below with diagonal cross panels, and with dentilled cornice
to ceiling above. Lower room fireplace and hall fireplace blocked with C20
grates. Plastered stud internal partitions separating principal rooms. C19
secondary stairs at junction of rear dairy and inner room.
Listing NGR: SX6788460041
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings