This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5135 / 50°30'48"N
Longitude: -3.8326 / 3°49'57"W
OS Eastings: 270160
OS Northings: 69789
OS Grid: SX701697
Mapcode National: GBR QC.955X
Mapcode Global: FRA 27VP.YGS
Entry Name: The Glebe House
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Last Amended: 27 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99279
Location: Holne, South Hams, Devon, TQ13
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Holne
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Holne St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 76 NW
4/14 The Glebe House (formerly
listed as "The Vicarage")
House, formerly the vicarage. Circa C18 house with cottage arnee remodelling of
circa 1831 by Elliot of Ashlawton. Stone rubble, plastered on south and east
fronts. Thatched hipped roof with deep eaves, with thin moulding to eaves soffit.
L-shaped on plan. 2 storeys. East front 5 bays, not quite symmetrical. Circa 1832.
Moulded cross mullion-transom casements with leaded panes and hood moulds. South
entrance front similar but 3 bays with central fielded panel door and reveals. Cast
iron verandah across south front with ornate spandrels and glass roof. Slate hung
side and central stacks. Interior: staircase with stack balusters and wreather
handrails ramped after column newels. Some C18 fielded panelled interior doors.
Tablet on east front states that Charles Kingsley was born here in 1819. He was
born on 12 June while his father was curate-in-charge of Holne for a few months.
Listing NGR: SX7016069789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings