This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4175 / 50°25'3"N
Longitude: -3.9659 / 3°57'57"W
OS Eastings: 260431
OS Northings: 59366
OS Grid: SX604593
Mapcode National: GBR Q5.J132
Mapcode Global: FRA 27LY.DS7
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99135
Location: Cornwood, South Hams, Devon, PL21
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Cornwood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 65 NW CORNWOOD CHURCHTOWN
29-3-60 Church of St Michael
Circa 1300 west tower and east end of chancel. The rest mainly C15. Chancel largely
rebuilt in 1867. Granite and with granite freestone dressings. Slate roofs.
Rendered tower. Comprising nave, chancel, north and south transepts and north and
south aisles, west tower and south porch.
North and south aisles have 3-light Perpendicular windows. Buttresses with set-offs
between north windows and moulded plinth below. North and south transepts have
4-light Perpendicular windows.
Chancel east window is C19 of 3-lights.
Moulded 4-central arch south doorway. Granite ashlar porch with diagonal buttresses
with set-offs and moulded 3-centred arch doorway with spandrels and label.
Short west tower with straight parapet, lancets at ball-openings, 3-light west window
with recticulated tracery. Short buttress at base of each side. Square stair turret
on north-east corner with lancets.
Five bay north and south arcades with slender moulded monolithic granite piers,
moulded caps and bases and wide moulded 4-centred arches. Similar arches to
transepts. Ceiled wagon roof to nave aisles and transepts.
C13 triple sedilia and piscina with cusped arches.
Chancel has reredos of 1867 and reredos around the walls in alabaster. Altar rail is
also alabaster. Early C16 stone altar in south aisle with strapwork and shields in
Furnishings largely late C19 except for early C17 parallel and carved octagonal
Good wall monuments to'local families including: Robert Bellmaine and wife 1627.
John Savery 1696. Thomas Vivian 1793. Sir John and Dane Mary Rogers 1759. Late
C16/early C17 monument in south aisle with 2 kneeling figures.
Listing NGR: SX6043259366
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings