This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.442 / 50°26'31"N
Longitude: -4.0844 / 4°5'3"W
OS Eastings: 252087
OS Northings: 62311
OS Grid: SX520623
Mapcode National: GBR NZ.PDQQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 27BW.GL4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107473
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99106
Location: Bickleigh, South Hams, Devon, PL6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Bickleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 56 SW BICKLEIGH BICKLEIGH
Church of St Mary
Parish Church. C15 west tower, remainder largely rebuilt in 1838 by Charles Fowler
for Sir Ralph Lope of Maristow. Restored again in 1882 by J D Sedding. Stone rubble
with granite dressings. Slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one, north and south aisles
with Perpendicular style 3-light windows and 4-light east window. South porch. South
doorway is C15/16 reused, moulded granite with 4-centred arch and cusped spandrels.
Large C15 west tower in 3 stages with set back buttresses to first 2 stages, moulded
bare embattled parapet with gargoyles on north and south sides. Large slightly
corballed corner turrets, crenellated and with crocketed finials. Two-light
Perpendicular ball openings. Polygonal stair turret at north-west of tower.
Three-light Perpendicular west window over heavily moulded west doorway with 2-centred
arch, quatrefoils in the spandrels and label.
Interior: Perpendicular 4-bay arcades of 1838 with 4-centred arches and octagonal
piers on tall bases. No chancel arch. C15 tower arch. C19 arch-braced cellar roof.
C19 benches with possibly earlier carved bench ends. C16 font with crenellated
octagonal bowl wth carved flat foliage and bulbous stem C12 font of crude tub
shape with zigzag carving.
Monuments: Slanning 1599 and Sir Nicholas Slanning 1643, over south door. C19
wall memorials to the Lopes family chiefly in north aisle, one to Sir Manasseh Masseh
Lopes of Maristow, 1831, by Westmacott the younger.
Ref: Builder, 1867, p 761.
Listing NGR: SX5208762309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings