This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.081 / 51°4'51"N
Longitude: -3.8751 / 3°52'30"W
OS Eastings: 268748
OS Northings: 132966
OS Grid: SS687329
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.D44B
Mapcode Global: FRA 26S8.659
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98883
Location: Brayford, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Brayford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Charles St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 63 SE
3/9 Church of St John the Baptist
Parish Church. Probably C15 fabric to chancel nave and tower, the latter largely
rebuilt in 1620, the whole heavily restored 1885. Stone rubble with ashlar
dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave and chancel and south porch. West tower
of 2 stages, unbuttressed, with embattled parapet. Single light bell-openings to
each face. Rectangular stair turret on north side.
C19 fenestration to nave and chancel. South side nave has one 2-light and a 3-light
pointed arched windows, chancel a single light window. 3-light stepped lancet
window at east end of chancel. Two 2-light windows to north side of nave.
South porch has C15 virtually semi-circular headed doorway with hollow-chamfered and
roll moulded surround.
Interior: plain ceiled waggon roofs to nave with moulded ribs and to chancel with
variously carved bosses at the intersections. C20 nave seating and furniture.
Font, 1727, with fluted bowl on baluster shaft. C17 wall monument on chancel north
wall to members of Gregorie family including George Gregorie, rector and patron of
the parish d.1719. Broken pediment with reclining cherubs and achievement. Skulls
flanking oval medallion in base.
Listing NGR: SS6874832966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings