History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 7 Headstones Approximately 1 Metre South of Brayford Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Brayford, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0967 / 51°5'48"N

Longitude: -3.8771 / 3°52'37"W

OS Eastings: 268658

OS Northings: 134724

OS Grid: SS686347

Mapcode National: GBR KZ.C3MP

Mapcode Global: FRA 26R7.5CM

Entry Name: Group of 7 Headstones Approximately 1 Metre South of Brayford Baptist Church

Listing Date: 13 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107557

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98890

Location: Brayford, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Brayford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Charles St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Charles

Listing Text

BRAYFORD BRAYFORD
SS 63 SE
3/8 Group of 7 headstones
- approximately 1 metre south of
Brayford Baptist Church
GV II

Group of 7 headstone. Early C19. Slate. William Crocker d. 1840 with scalloped
decoration to the corners. Jabez Lyle d.1829 with inscription 'If God be pleased
and his glorified Creatures be pleased who are we that we should be displeased'.
Edward Wedlake d.1829 'who was sent forth to preach the gospel by the church in this
place' Mary Winzer d.1830. Jane Cutcliffe d.1836 and William Cutcliffe d.1847 by
Philip Pile, Bratton. Mary Gould d.1826 with inscription 'she was one of the first
in this part of the Kingdom who followed the Primitive Christians in the Ordinance
of Believers Baptism'. Joseph Gould d.1817 with inscription 'He was a man of piety,
given to hospitality, a lover of the poor; but, above all, a promoter of vital
Christianity' etc. This stone was reputedly ejected from Charles parish churchyard
and remains buried here. D Thompson, 'A Book of Remembrance : Baptist Churches in
North Devon', 1885.


Listing NGR: SS6865834724

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.