This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0677 / 51°4'3"N
Longitude: -3.9027 / 3°54'9"W
OS Eastings: 266779
OS Northings: 131535
OS Grid: SS667315
Mapcode National: GBR KY.F34J
Mapcode Global: FRA 26Q9.FD4
Entry Name: West Buckland School
Listing Date: 13 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107568
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98922
Location: East and West Buckland, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: East and West Buckland
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Buckland St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
EAST AND WEST BUCKLAND
SS 63 SE
3/69 West Buckland School
School. 1860-1 by R D Gould, enlarged to rear 1863 and 1871, range to west
completed 1876, eastern range added 1933. Stone rubble with brick and ashlar
dressings. Later additions chiefly brick. Slate roofs.
1860-1 range consists of 2½ storey centre block of 5 bays with 1½ storey lateral
wings also of 5 bays. The right-hand (east) wing was rebuilt at the time of the
addition of the eastern range after a fire in 1930. The 3-storey dormitory block
at the left (west) end was added in 1876, the whole forming a rear courtyard plan.
Centre block of 2½ storeys of 5 bays, the central bay rising to 3 storeys formerly
with bell turret but now reduced to a pyramidal roof. 2 gabled half-dormers to each
side with trefoil headed lights. Dated rainwater heads flanking central bay. 2-
light mullions, those to ground floor have alternating brick and stone voussoirs and
shoulder headed lights. Segmental arched central doorway with shouldered architrave
to double plank doors, sidelights and stepped overlight. Pointed arched hoodmould
to window over incorporating sheaf motif with motto 'Read and Reap'. Each wing has
shouldered doorway to rear quadrangle with porch and leanto slate roof in the angle
with the projecting central block. Left-hand (west) wing has full dormers to attic
storey, 2-light mullions to each full storey, those to ground floor with pointed
relieving arches of alternating brick and stone voussoirs. Right-hand (east) wing
refenestrated after fire. Large oriel window to front gable end of 1933 range to
right. 3 storey gabled dormitory cross-wing at left end with tower block in angle
with broached corner and pyramidal roof. Stone brackets to eaves. Porch in angle
with 2-centred arch. Tall buttresses to gable end with offsets flanked by stone
mullion windows, 3 lights to ground floor, 2 lights above. Stepped vent to gable,
the centre light cusped-headed.
The school was founded in 1858 at South Stoodleigh (q.v.) by J L Brereton for the
education of the middle classes, so bridging a gap in the education system which
Brereton identified in his book County Education (1874). See Jon Edmunds A History
of West Buckland School (1983).
Listing NGR: SS6677931535
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings