History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Landkey, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0623 / 51°3'44"N

Longitude: -4.0126 / 4°0'45"W

OS Eastings: 259061

OS Northings: 131141

OS Grid: SS590311

Mapcode National: GBR KS.FC9R

Mapcode Global: FRA 26H9.SNW

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98605

Location: Landkey, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Landkey

Built-Up Area: Landkey

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Landkey St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tawstock

Listing Text

LANDKEY LANDKEY TOWN
SS 53 SE
7/122 Church of St Paul

I

Parish church. C13 fabric to chancel. Nave, tower and north aisle C15 north and
south transepts early C16. Chancel restored 1870. Rubble stone with ashlar
dressings. Slate roof with coped. gable ends and apex crosses. West tower, nave,
north aisle, south and north transpets and chancel.
Tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses with offset wing to top of second stage
only. Embattled parapet with corner gargoyles. Polygonal stair turret also with
battlements rising above the tower on north-east side, with 7 slit windows lighting
the spiral staircase and surmounted by weathercock. Square-headed bell openings on
each side with 2 pointed arched lights with louvres, stone voussoirs to the
relieving arches and hoodmoulds. Square-headed single light window with stanchions
and saddle bars to each side except to east, situated just below plat band.
Pointed arched window to west side of 3-lights with hoodmould and Perpendicular
tracery, above pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and large pyramid stops to the
jambs. Casement-and-ogee moulded surround. Square-headed window near to base of
tower on south side. Nave south side has 3-light pointed arched window with
Perpendicular tracery and human head corbels to the hoodmould. To right embattled
parapet to south porch with gargoyle to south-west corner. Pointed arch C15
doorway with hoodmould corbelled out with human heads and paterae around the hollow
chamfer of the Pevsner 'A' type moulded surround. Similar decoration to inner
porch door on smaller scale and with no hoodmould. Fine ceiled waggon roof to
south porch 2-panels wide with heavy carved bosses at each intersection of the
central moulded rib and end ribs and purlins. South transept with short gable
ended slate roof set parallel to the nave with embattled parapet and gargoyles at
the corner. 3-light Perpendicular windows to south and east sides the hoodmoulds
corbelled out with human heads. Slate sundial to right dated 1768. Pointed arch
to priest doorway with hoodmould and plank door. Squat 3-light Perpendicular
window to right. East chancel window of 3-lights with Perpendicular tracery and.
plain hoodmould. Small lancet window to north side deeply splayed on its inner
face. Vestry has round ashlar shaft to stack with offsets. Square-headed window
on north side of 2 ogee-headed lights with hoodmould. 3-light Perpendicular window
to east end of north aisle with hoodmould. Buttress to right with offsets.
Embattled parapet to north transept which has a 3-light late Perpendicular window
on north side with hoodmould. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows on north side of
north aisle and large 4-light Perpendicular window at west end.
Interior: fine ceiled waggon roofs to nave and north aisle both with heavy carved
bosses at the intersections of the ribs and longitudinal members. North aisle roof
has richly carved foliated wall plates. Nave ribs are corbelled out with stone
carved human heads. Chancel roof possibly reuses some early timber in the moulded
arch-braces to the single central truss. Tall pointed unmoulded tower arch flanked
by buttresses with offsets. 3 bay Perpendicular arcade to north aisle with Pevsner
'B' type piers, but with capitals only to the main arches. Perpendicular arches to
the south and north transepts, that to south transpet has foliated capitals. C19
pointed chancel arch. Squint from south transept into chancel which has a 4-
centred arch with double hollow moulded surround. C19/C20 nave furniture. C15
font. Tall octagonal stem with mouchette traceried panels and octagonal lead lined
bowl with blind quatrefoil decorations to each facet. Traces of ancient colour.
Monuments South transept. Impressive standing wall monument to west side to
Acland family. Central achievement in scrolled broken pediment with acroteria
composed of shields with grotesque heads to each facet of the plinths that support
them. Pilasters flank 2 round-arched plaques divided by central pilasters. Semi-
reclining male and female figures to each of the spandrels with central cherubs
head. Plaque to left side records death of Elynor daughter and coheir of Robert
Malet of Wolleigh, Devon, wife of Sir Arthur Acland of Acland and afterwards
married Sir Francis Vincent of Stoke Daubernon Surrey. She died 1645. That to
right side has Latin inscription to Arthur Acland who died 1610. Marble table top
has Lady Acland recumbent with small male and female figures praying at her head
and feet respectively. Behind her and a little higher up is the figure of Sir
Arthur semi-reclining with bird of prey clutching a gauntlet in his feet. 3
shields to side of the chest with corner pilasters carved with various emblems of
death.
Beside the south transept altar is a C14 stone effigy of a lady. At east end of
north aisle are recumbent effigies of a cross-legged knight with the upper part of
his body turned, said to represent Sir Robert de Beaupel, c. 1320 and his wife
wearing wimple. Stone wall monument on north wall of north aisle. Pediment swept
up to classical urn flanked by torches. Cherubs head to scalloped base with plaque
above to members of the Squier family erected by Richard Squier in 1729. Tablet on
south wall of nave. Broken pediment with central lozenge containing shield.
Moulded stone surround to plaque to Elya Estmond died 1695. Charity boards and
table of burial fees to north wall of tower. Stained glass. Stained glass to
chancel chapel east window.


Listing NGR: SS5906231137

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.