History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Mills

A Grade II Listed Building in Landkey, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.062 / 51°3'43"N

Longitude: -4.0097 / 4°0'34"W

OS Eastings: 259269

OS Northings: 131107

OS Grid: SS592311

Mapcode National: GBR KT.F624

Mapcode Global: FRA 26H9.V0C

Entry Name: Town Mills

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107688

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98607

Location: Landkey, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Landkey

Built-Up Area: Landkey

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Landkey St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bishops Tawton

Listing Text

LANDKEY LANDKEY TOWN
SS 53 SE
7/124 Town Mills

GV II

House including bakehouse. Possibly 1659 by dated frieze, though earlier fabric
may be concealed. Extended c.1900 at right end. Colour painted rendered stone and
cob. Extension in stone rubble with brick dressings. Thatch roof, hipped at left
end to main range with brick ridge stack. Slate roof with stacks to each end of
extension. Main range, 3 room cross passage plan bu t with axial stack heating
hall and parlour. Continuous outshut to rear. Outbuilding formerly flour store at
left end converted to part of dwelling with single storey bakehouse wing at right
angles to front forming overall L-shaped plan. Extension of c.1900 at right end
with higher roof level to main range. 2 storeys. 5 window range to main range,
with added 2 window range to extension. C19/C20 casements, 2 light, 2-panes per
light at left end otherwise 4 panes per light. Ground floor has plank door at left
end and 2-light casement, 4-panes per light between 2 lean-to C20 porches, that to
right has 1/2-glazed panelled door to cross-passage doorway with bay window to right,
that to left has glazed door of 2 leaves.
Interior: cross-passage has stud partitions to both sides, renewed to left side, 9
panels wide to right side with scroll-stopped and chamfered studs. Chamfered
surrounds to rear passage doorway and to rear of hall with old 3 plank door.
Scroll-stopped chamfered durns to door surround at head of stairs. Decorative
moulded plasterwork frieze to parlour to left of stack obscured by later cupboards
and plasterwork overmantel with moulded top and bottom rails dated 1659, the date
flankign 3 plant design interspersed by pair of C.H. initials. Chamber over has
moulded plasterwork cornice with vine motif to all 4 walls and plasterwork
overmantel in early Classical style with 3 semicircular headed arches supported on
thin pilasters, the arches continuing half a bay to each side, with plant design to
each full bay. C18/C19 roof structure with 3 roughly pegged trusses with side-
pegged collars and waney rafters. The purlins resting on the backs of the trusses.


Listing NGR: SS5926931107

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.