This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1314 / 51°7'52"N
Longitude: -3.9781 / 3°58'41"W
OS Eastings: 261689
OS Northings: 138757
OS Grid: SS616387
Mapcode National: GBR KV.9213
Mapcode Global: VH4MM.0T9L
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98620
Location: Loxhore, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Loxhore
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Loxhore St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 63 NW
4/137 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Possibly C13 fabric to nave and chancel, C15/C16 north aisle and
west tower, reported as having been 'recently almost entirely rebuilt' in 1844 and
again restored 1882 by Dolby of Abingdon. Rubble stone, roughly coursed to south-
side of chancel. Ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with moulded clay ridge tiles to
chancel. Apex crosses to south porch and chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, north
aisle and south porch.
Tower of 3 stages with embattled parapet. Single buttresses, diagonally set at
western corners, square-set to eastern angles on south and north faces. Two 4-
centred arched light bell openings with louvres on each side. Single slit opening
to east side second stage above weathering of original nave roof line. Damaged
slate sundial on south-side. C19 Perpendicular style west window of 3-lights with
pointed arch and hoodmould continued round as first stage string. Segmental arched
west doorway with chamfered surround and pyramid stops. C19 plank door. Two C19
2-cusped-headed-light windows to south-side of nave with mouchette tracery and
pointed arched hoodmoulds with label stops. South porch with raised coped parapet.
Perp 4-centred arched doorway with moulded surround. Semi-circular arched C18
doorcase with moulded surround and round-headed 6-panelled door with original lock.
2 single light lancets and a 2-light window with label stops to the hoodmoulds on
south-side of chancel. Tall 2-light transomed east window with quatrefoil tracery
and steeply pointed labelled hoodmould. Weathered oval stone tablet to north
chancel wall. 3-light C19 Perpendicular style east window to north has 6 and 2
similar 2-light windows to north side.
Interior: Unmoulded pointed tower arch. Arcade of 3 bays to north aisle with
octagonal piers unusually of timber with sunk chamfers and ogee mouldings to the
alternate faces. Scroll stops to the square capitals and to the base of the piers
where some original timber survives otherwise largely C19 timber. Octagonal stone
plinths. Straight unmoulded entablature. Perpendicular waggon roof to north aisle,
(ceiled in C19 to C20) with moulded ribs and carved bosses at the intersections.
Slightly pointed C19 waggon roof to nave with moulded ribs and carved foliated wall
plates. Small foliated bosses to chancel roof which tapers to a flat arch.
Chancel/nave truss with crenellated tie-beam supported on wall posts from which
carved angels figures lean outwards.
Pierced tracery design to the soffits of the principals. Large carved cross acts as
hinge post. Further crenellated tie-beam over altar rails with crown post. Stained
glass to east window. Wide double sedilia with central marble colonette supporting
twin pointed arches. Late C19 chancel screen with central archway with foliated
spandrels. 5 trefoil headed lights to each side with turned balusters. C19 pulpit
polygonal timber drum on stone stem with double ogee-arches separated by squat
colonettes to each facet. C19 Fleur de-lis decorated tiles to chancel and 9
medieval Barnstaple tiles new to base of pulpit. Square bowl and cylindrical stem
to font without decoration, but with C16 cone cover 4-sided with cable-moulded
centre and corner ribs swept up to crocketted finial. Painted Royal Arms to west
wall of north aisle. 2 slate stones to floor of north aisle, one to Norwood family
dated 1614, the other to Susan Rogers 1711. Wall monuments. Chancel north wall,
unusual metal plaque in wooden frame engraved to Richard Carpenter, rector, d.1627
with verses etc in different lettering styles. Similar metalled plaque on east wall
of north aisle to Mary Weber, wife of the rector d.1671 with incised Corinthian
classical pillar to centre dividing etched verses, with engraved canopy and skull
and cross bones above. North wall of north aisle from east end: C17 wall monument
to Hammond family, including Hester, "famous for her skill in geneology but died
childless. Broken pediment flanking classical urn with putti reclining on each
raking cornice supported on Tuscan column. Angels bust below and scrolled wing
brackets flank slate plaque. Marble tablet recording restoration of reredos 1911 by
T. E. Ching of Porthleven. Large monument to Hammond family. Large classical urn
with 2 large putti to each side and classical torches outside.Corinthian pilasters
flanking columns of same order outside oval medallion with richly carved surround,
cherubs heads above drops and skulls in the base and to each side of consoles with
scalloped bases and winged plaque between without inscription. Stone tablet on
south wall of chancel to Rev. Charles Reave, d.1726. Square plaque with classical
porch and scrolling wing brackets and base.
Listing NGR: SS6168938757
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings