History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Downrew Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Tawton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0428 / 51°2'34"N

Longitude: -4.0102 / 4°0'36"W

OS Eastings: 259172

OS Northings: 128973

OS Grid: SS591289

Mapcode National: GBR KS.GRWH

Mapcode Global: FRA 26HC.7J7

Entry Name: Downrew Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107716

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98480

Location: Bishop's Tawton, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Bishop's Tawton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bishops Tawton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tawstock

Listing Text

BISHOPS TAWTON
SS 52 NE
10/2 Downrew Farmhouse
-
GV II

Farmhouse. Undoubtedly earlier fabric concealed by 1628 remodelling. Right side
stone rubble to first storey, cob above, left side stone built, the whole rendered
over. Slate roofs, raised to right side with gable end brick stack and axial stone
rubble stack backing onto passage with drip and brick shaft. 3 cell, formerly
through-passage plan, now with rear access infilled. The lower end may well have
once been used as a shippon. Stair turret to rear of hall enclosed in 1628 right-
angled 2-storied rear extension (dated beam now covered over).
2 storeys with stairs to attic storey. 5 window range. C20 fenestration
throughout, all 2 light casements except to hall and room over which are 3-light
windows. Gabled porch to through-passage doorway.
Interior: 3 stop-chamfered beams to high hall ceiling. Plank and muntin screen at
upper end of hall with unusually wide planks of 6 sections with inserted doorway
and part of screen said to be papered over at the left end. 2 small 4-paned
windows inserted at right end. Dias settle still in situ with carved bench end. A
similar screen is said to survive behind the present partition to the lower end. 2
doors each with 2 large fielded panels to first floor rooms. Two C17 trusses over
raised upper end with straight principals and 2 tiers of threaded purlins. 2
trusses over lower end of unusual construction with principals straight at the feet
but curving steeply inwards towards the apex where they meet and are peg-jointed
together. It is possible that these are reused cruck blades with short curved feet
which have been reversed. C20 roof structure superimposed.


Listing NGR: SS5917228973

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.