This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0946 / 51°5'40"N
Longitude: -4.1244 / 4°7'27"W
OS Eastings: 251332
OS Northings: 134960
OS Grid: SS513349
Mapcode National: GBR KN.C6ZB
Mapcode Global: FRA 2677.C0H
Entry Name: Heanton Court Barton
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98428
Location: Heanton Punchardon, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Heanton Punchardon
Built-Up Area: Chivenor Airfield
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Heanton Punchardon St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 53 SW HEANTON PUNCHARDON
10/179 Heanton Court Barton
House, now public house and restaurant. Pre C18, remodelled late C18, C19 and
C20 alterations. Rubblestone with dressed stone voussoirs and brick plat-band.
Mansard slate roof to central range with large central brick stack and pyramidal
slate roofs to towers. Gothick symmetrical 2-storey central range of 7 bays
with projecting flanking 3-stage towers, each 2 bays with embattled parapets.
Top stage sashes are 3 panes over 6 panes horned to right. Those to lower
storeys are all 6 panes over 6 panes generally hornless C18 sashes at first
floor, hornless C20 on ground floor. Those in towers are all set in deeper
reveals. Doorways inserted in the end window openings of the central section,
with half-glazed doors; that to the left has 3-paned overlight. All window
openings have large keystones except centre ground floor window and slightly
cambered arches. 2-storey extension to rear of left tower with slated lean-to
roof and castellated outer wall. Further 2-storey C18/19 extension at rear left
end of central section with hipped slate roof. Single-storey lean-to with slate
roof in between these two. Interior entirely altered except for 2 remaining
upper flights of staircase with turned balusters and moulded handrail ramped up
to large newels. Original roof timbers survive to towers only. Formerly seat of
the Bassets from C15 to 1802. Imposing situation on bank of Taw Estuary.
Listing NGR: SS5133234960
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings