This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1006 / 51°6'1"N
Longitude: -4.1378 / 4°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 250414
OS Northings: 135645
OS Grid: SS504356
Mapcode National: GBR KM.BX64
Mapcode Global: VH4MQ.7LCP
Entry Name: Eastacombe Farmhouse and Adjoining Granaries and Pump House
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Last Amended: 14 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98430
Location: Heanton Punchardon, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Heanton Punchardon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Heanton Punchardon St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
HEANTON PUNCHARDON EASTACOMBE LANE, Heanton
SS 53 NW
8/181 Eastacombe Farmhouse and
25.2.65 adjoining granaries and Pump-
Farmhouse and adjoining granaries and pump-house. C16,possibly earlier core
(1597 datestone in porch) partially refronted in C18 (1735 carved in right hand
ground floor window jamb) and large C19 wing added to rear. Principally cob and
shale faced in laced and dressed stone to left and squared rubble to right of cob
porch cased in rubble. Slate roof, hipped at left end, gable-ended to right.
Single room each side of central passage with 2-storey gable-ended porch to front
and projecting stair turret to rear, also gable-ended. Outshut added in the
angle to east with lean-to slate roof and right-angled long extension to rear
left end forming L-shape plan to dwelling, further extended northwards with
granaries and outbuildings projecting eastwards to complete overall 3-side
courtyard plan. Brick stack at right gable end of main range and lateral stack
to rear of cell to left now encased in extension. 2 storey, 3 window range. 2-
storey gabled porch almost at centre with 2-light casement with 12 panes each
light over stone roll-moulded porch doorway possibly reset with depressed Tudor
arch with plain spandrels. Datestone near wallheight top right of front with
inscription :F 20 B
E 40 R.
Fine Cl7 inner doorway, square-headed with chamfered surround and heavily carved
ornamentation near the base of the jambs. Ancient framed and ledged door of 3
wide planks with cover strips and square-headed nails. To either side of porch,
C20 3-light timber casements on each floor in altered window openings with
cambered brick arches, that at top left retaining C18/19 12-paned casements.
1735 carved in right hand ground floor window jamb. Further inverted stone at
wall-height near right end initialled GLELRL. At right gable end, 2-light above
single light window in slight narrow 2-storey projection accommodating garderobe.
Rear C19 wing has 2 axial brick stacks and 3-window range of sashes 8 panes over
8 panes on each floor with flat brick arches. Granaries extend northwards then
at right angles to east with hipped end to slate roof and external stone steps to
2 plank doors with loft door to right. 2 plank doors below with brick arches.
Single-storey rubble extension to right with slate roof and central opening.
Adjoining east end of granary and projecting into courtyard is small rectangular
pump-house with hipped slate roof, open to front and north side.
In main range, much of the internal joinery is intact with stopped and chamfered
door frames to majority of rooms, early doors to principal cell to left of
passage and to upper storey of porch. Winder staircase with moulded handrail and
square newels with stick balusters to first flight only. Roof not inspected.
Listing NGR: SS5041435645
Other nearby listed buildings